[SOLVED] mysql update doesn't work

vampke

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get this script to get data from a mysql table and put it in html.

So far so good.

Now I want to be able to update this data and put the changes back in the mysql table. Problems here.

The script I wrote for the update:

$update = "UPDATE aaarticle SET id='$_POST[id]', date='$_POST[date]', spec='$_POST[spec]', title='$_POST[title]', text='$_POST[text]' WHERE id= '$_POST[id]'";
mysql_query($update,$conn) or die(mysql_error());

This does not seem to be making any changes to the table though.

What could be wrong?

try this:

$update = "UPDATE aaarticle SET id='$_POST['id']', date='$_POST['date']', spec='$_POST['spec']', title='$_POST['title']', text='$_POST['text']' WHERE id= '$_POST['id']'";

ok For easy understanding:

$id='$_POST['id'];
$date='$_POST['date'];
$spec='$_POST['spec'];
$title='$_POST['title'];
$text='$_POST['text'];

$update = "UPDATE aaarticle SET id='$id', date='$date', spec='$spec', title='$title', text='$text' WHERE id= '$id'";

Try this:

<?PHP
//make sure these variables are defined in $conn and that you have selected a database. 
$hostname = 'localhost';
$dbuser = 'dbuser';
$dbpass = 'dbpass';
$dbselect = 'dbname';

$conn = mysql_connect($hostname, $dbuser, $dbpass);
//lets make sure were connected with $conn - then select our database
if ($conn) { //if there were no connection issues
mysql_select_db($dbselect); //select the database
//ok now it looks like your trying to update the ID - and if I was a betting man - the id is auto_increment, which would cause this query to fail
// so we replace this: $update = "UPDATE aaarticle SET id='$_POST[id]', date='$_POST[date]', spec='$_POST[spec]', title='$_POST[title]', text='$_POST[text]' WHERE id= '$_POST[id]'";
// with 
$update = "UPDATE aaarticle SET date='$_POST[date]', spec='$_POST[spec]', title='$_POST[title]', text='$_POST[text]' WHERE id= '$_POST[id]'";
$result = mysql_query($update); // run the query
if ($result) { //if there was a result
  //do something
} else { //the query failed
	echo mysql_error();
}
} else { //connection issue
echo 'there was an issue connecting to the server, check that you have properly identified the credentials.';
}
?>

ok For easy understanding:

$id='$_POST['id'];
$date='$_POST['date'];
$spec='$_POST['spec'];
$title='$_POST['title'];
$text='$_POST['text'];

$update = "UPDATE aaarticle SET id='$id', date='$date', spec='$spec', title='$title', text='$text' WHERE id= '$id'";

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in pathto/update.php on line 6

line 6 =

$id='$_POST['id']';

I added a ' after each line before ;

I think you forgot that in your reply, right?

try this:

$id=$_POST['id'];
$date=$_POST['date'];
$spec=$_POST['spec'];
$title=$_POST['title'];
$text=$_POST['text'];

Sorry for that.

no

I understand your defining those but with what you just posted your going to end up with errors

you do not need to enclose globals in single quotes (') to define them - so they should be

$id = $_POST['id'];

and NOT

$id = '$_POST['id']; //will cause the error Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in path/to/blah.php on line whatever

I think your main problem is that you were trying to update the id - when there is no need to update the id - that should remain as it is-  the contents for that id are the only things that should change.

You can do it either way thought,

$update = "UPDATE article SET date='$_POST[date]'"; //this way works as long as its written as $_POST[date] and not $_POST['date']

or

$update = "UPDATE article SET date='$date'";

Its all in how you prefer to do it.

vampke,

ensure your not trying to set database values that are automatically updated. I.E. time, date, auto_increment id's, etc.

Also - if you have access to run the update via phpMyAdmin, do so and see what errors you are getting.

vampke,

ensure your not trying to set database values that are automatically updated. I.E. time, date, auto_increment id's, etc.

Also - if you have access to run the update via phpMyAdmin, do so and see what errors you are getting.

Thank you very much everybody that was trying to help me!

I am VERY sorry and ashamed to say that I have sold the problem myself....

I misnamed the id box in the html code....

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.