[SOLVED] Sub query

benji87

Hi guys i can work out why im getting unexpected T_STRING in this query, can someone help?

<?
$sql =("SELECT * FROM pl_users WHERE username = (SELECT username FROM pl_grp WHERE value = '2')") or die mysql_error());
$result = mysql_query($sql);
?>

cheers

Hi

You have a bracket at the beginning of the $sql variable, and the "or die shoub be on the next line

<?php
$sql ="SELECT * FROM pl_users WHERE username = (SELECT username FROM pl_grp WHERE value = '2')";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
?>

Cheers,

tdw

Um, i dont work much with mysql queries inside mysql queries, but first of all, you are trying to perform a sub search without defining the sub search as a mysql query itsself, plus with all the () you added in addition that could make things harder (with getting the syntax right)

here's something i typed out for you

<?
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM pl_users WHERE username = \"" . mysql_query("SELECT username FROM pl_grp WHERE value = '2'") . "\");
?>

Edit, and yeah the guy above is also correct:

<?
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM pl_users WHERE username = \"" . mysql_query("SELECT username FROM pl_grp WHERE value = '2'") . "\") or die(mysql_error());
?>

Cheers for the help guys darkwinter and sw0o0sh that query worked great but only returned one result. As when there was more than one value that = 2 it came up with an error saying the result could not be saved because the query returned more than one result.

So i guess this is something to do with the PK like Patrick said. So i changed it to the query he gave me but i still only seem to get one result when i should get two.

Here is my query as it stands:

<?php
$sql ="SELECT * FROM pl_users WHERE username IN (SELECT username FROM pl_gpr WHERE value = '2')";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
?>

Cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.