[SOLVED] Finding larger of 2 columns?

triphis

Hi there everyone ;)

Simple featured item script for an online store... Items have 2 columns, RETAIL and SALE (price, that is).

There is the option for the store owner to have the featured item to be the most expensive one... and I originally wrote the query to select the largest by RETAIL. However, obviously if that item is on sale for much less, it might not be the most expensive...

So, what I need is this:

SELECT id, LARGER(RETAIL,SALE) as highest FROM products ORDER BY highest DESC LIMIT 1

-------------------------------------

Is there a function to choose the larger of two as I have done above???

Thanks!!!

Nope :)

I see my mistake.

Okay, let me try again: The items will not always be on sale (SALE = 0). However, if they are, then the SALE price is the price that the customer would pay, not the RETAIL price. So just ordering by RETAIL price would not be appropriate.

I am looking for a way to rank all by the price that *would* be paid by the customer, to find the actual most expensive item.

---------------------

Scenario:

Item 1 - retail=$300 / sale=$200

Item 2 - retail=$250 / sale=$0

I want my query to find Item 2 to be the most expensive :)

I hope that clears things up, and I hope you can still help me ^^

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.