[SOLVED] How to echo a variable when inserting data into a database?

brandon99999

It's been bugging me that I can't seem to store user data if I don't know how to insert certain data into the correct user's table. It's hard to explain. But here is an example of the last insert code I tried:

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("mysqlserver","hdfhj","dhjgjfj");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("users", $con);
$username = $_COOKIE['ID_my_site'];

mysql_query("INSERT INTO echo $username(Pokemon)
VALUES ('Peter')");

mysql_close($con);
?>

The $username variable is suppose to be whatever user is logged in. I think it's impossible to echo out a variable in a mysql/php code.

If there is another way to insert a user's data in a user's table please tell me how.

Actually I am just testing to see if I can insert stuff like the Pokemon, Money, Badges, ect. a user has cause I'm making an online rpg.

In the testing code, I made a table called Brandon which is my name. So I tried to insert data in that table by using the $username variable. Also in the "Brandon" table there are fields called Pokemon, Money Badges, ect.

It's hard to explain but I tried just using the variable without the echo in front of it and it didn't work.

Heres some example, i hope they help

<?php
$user  = "test1";
$theField = "Pokemon";

mysql_query("INSERT INTO Brandon (Pokemon) VALUES ('some data')");

//or

mysql_query("INSERT INTO Brandon (Pokemon) VALUES ('$user')"); //insert test1

//or

mysql_query("INSERT INTO Brandon ($theField) VALUES ('$user')"); //insert test1
?>

Actually, I just want the variable to be the user logged in. Say for example I login with my username being Brandon, then I click on a link that leads me to that mysql/php code page that I previously posted at the top. Then the info that was sent in that code should go to the Brandon table right? But it doesn't. When I tried the code you gave me it said this: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/.nivie/brandon99999/thepokemonfrontier.com/example.php on line 14

Yea, it's entered correctly.

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("myfshgjsh","djdgjkjk","2847g73");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("mydbbbbb", $con);
$user  = "test1"

mysql_query("INSERT INTO Brandon (Pokemon) VALUES ('$user')");

mysql_close($con);
?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.