[SOLVED] Session MySQL

yogibear

Hi all

I am quite new to php and am having a little problem with sessions. when a user logs in there username becomes a session and every page checks this session this all works fine, which is great but I would like it to search the database for this username this is part of the code that i have.

mysql_query("UPDATE userinformation SET credits = $c

WHERE username = ". $_SESSION['username']; mysql_close($con);

this is the error I am getting

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in

sorry if i have not been clear, I hope you can help, thanks in advanced

yogi

Hi thanks for your fast reply, ;D I thought everything was working when I got no error but then I noticed that it has stopped the calculation from working. This is all my work in progress code

<?
// You may copy this PHP section to the top of file which needs to access after login.
session_start(); // Use session variable on this page. This function must put on the top of page.
if(!session_is_registered("username")){ // if session variable "username" does not exist.
header("location:index.php"); // Re-direct to index.php
}

$con = mysql_connect('localhost','***','***');
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());

}mysql_select_db("***", $con);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM userinformation
WHERE username='yogibear'");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))

$a = $row['credits'];

$b = 5000;
$c = $a + $b;

mysql_query("UPDATE userinformation SET credits = $c WHERE username = ". $_SESSION['username']");
mysql_close($con);

?>
[code]

The code is meant to take credits and add 5000 to it and then replace the original amount of credits with the total, but it doesn’t, it does when ". $_SESSION['username']"); is replaced with 'yogibear'");

Any ideas

Thanks

[/code]

if this is your exact code you are missing a period after the $_session variable

mysql_query("UPDATE userinformation SET credits = $c WHERE username = '". $_SESSION['username']."');

you have ".$_SESSION['username']")

if that doesn't work, make sure you have your sessions set.

EDIT:

Also you need single quotes around the session variable before the double quotes.

Hi now im getting an error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/sites/bf2c.co.uk/public_html/orderexhaust.php on line 27

This is all the code

<?
// You may copy this PHP section to the top of file which needs to access after login.
session_start(); // Use session variable on this page. This function must put on the top of page.
if(!session_is_registered("username")){ // if session variable "username" does not exist.
header("location:index.php"); // Re-direct to index.php
}

$con = mysql_connect('localhost','***','***');
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());

}mysql_select_db("***", $con);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM userinformation
WHERE username='yogibear'");

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))

$a = $row['credits'];

$b = 5000;
$c = $a + $b;

mysql_query("UPDATE userinformation SET credits = $c WHERE username = '". $_SESSION['username']."');
mysql_close($con);
?>

Thanks for your help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.