$_GET vs. $_POST

Trium918

I havn't writting a script yet where $_GET is needed.

Every script that I've writting has been straight forward.

To me, there is no need for it as of yet.

What does $_GET do that $_POST cannot do or

the other way around?

When should I use $_GET or $_POST?

Well, let's say you have a page that lists several different music albums and you want each record to be a link to a page which shows the detail of that item. You can't use post, you would need to use get:

href="albumdetails.php?albumid=4"

You can't do that with POST. POST's big advantage is it is hidden from the user.

Well, let's say you have a page that lists several different music albums and you want each record to be a link to a page which shows the detail of that item. You can't use post, you would need to use get:

href="albumdetails.php?albumid=4"

You can't do that with POST. POST's big advantage is it is hidden from the user.

What about a photo ablum? Would the $_GET method be used. Similar to Myspace

photo abum.

The only difference worth talking about when it comes to GET vs POST is that GET is usually limited to 255 chars if I remember correctly. POST on the other hand has no limit. There are some cosmetic differences as GET is visable why POST isnt, but no this does not mean one is more secure then the other like someone stated earlier in this post. It is as easy to inject POST data as it is to inject GET

get is useful if you want people to frequent certian sections of your site. like for instance be able to tell a friend about a specific photo.

using post, they'd have to say click this then that, then that, then this. much like annoying flash garbage that has nothing in the url.

get = friendly (soemtimes messy and unfriendly) urls so people can bookmark specific pages.

Well, others have pointed out different benefits and drawbacks between the two. They are different and you need to determine how you are going to implement something to determine which to use.

Here is a rundown of what was stated so far:

GET has a character limit

POST does not (or at least it is much larger)

GET variables are visible to the user

POST variables are not

Note: a novice user can easily "inject" values into the query string whereas POST values can be injected by someone with a modicul of HTML knowledge

Using GET variables to display a dynamic page allows the user to create a direct link to the detail page.

With POST variables to determine the content of a variable page you cannot create a direct link. The user would have to go to the page where they choose the appropriate optioins on the form.

As to your question:

What about a photo ablum? Would the $_GET method be used. Similar to Myspace

photo abum.

Yes, typically I see get used with photo albums. You *could* use POST, but then you would most likely need to add javascript and end up making it more complicated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.