[SOLVED] Annoying Upgrade, PHP 4.4.2 to PHP 5.2 -- String Issues and all that

SamLiu

Please help me here  8)

Ok so heres the deal. I program a text based game but recently on my development server I reinstalled linux (Ubuntu 7.04 Fiesty Fawn). It automatically uses PHP 5.2 so I have no say in the matter (I could find a way to downgrade but I figured hey I should start using PHP5.)

So I did and now I'm stuck with all these backwards compatibility issues. And right off the bat my stupid database setup script isnt working. I tested the same script on my external PHP 4 server and it works fine. Now on PHP5 it is giving me this crap

Catchable fatal error: Object of class ADORecordSet_empty could not be converted to string in /var/www/ApocCore/reset.php on line 26

So heres my script line 26

/*****************Drop tables*******************

************************************************/

$result1 = $connect->Execute("DROP TABLE IF EXISTS $db[info] , $db[ipbank], 
	$db[updater], $db[counter], $db[structures], $db[score], $db[army], 
	$db[p_messages_table], $db[log], $db[war], $db[time], $db[bonus], $db[building], $db[awayunits]");
	print "Dropped tables. Returned a $result1<br>";

I'm using ADOdb Lite 1.4.2 (Latest version). People report that it works fine with PHP 5.2 so I'm going by that.

I did read somewhere that I should try "[".print_r($query)."]" or something like that and separate the query from the statement, but when I did that it didnt throw an error and didnt execute either. So I was at a loss of what to do and figured I should start here.

I also read that this has to do with how PHP5.2 handles strings. Theres some sort of "magical __tostring()" or whatever.

So I need someone to explain what I should do to fix errors of this type as they're all over my code. Thanks in advance!

I'm counting on you guys, I'm completely nub to PHP5.  ??? :'(

[attachment deleted by admin]

I'm guessing that, here:

$result1 = $connect->Execute("DROP TABLE IF EXISTS $db[info] , $db[ipbank], 

$result1 is a ADORecordSet_empty instance.  So then here:

print "Dropped tables. Returned a $result1<br>";

You're trying to print an object instance as if it were a string, and PHP doesn't know how to do that.  Try this:

print "Dropped tables. Returned a " . print_r($result1, true) . "<br>";

Best,

Patrick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.