Mobile Phone

jaymc

May not be stricly PHP but hope someone can help

I want to create a function on my website where as a member can send a text at a premium rate which will then be read automatically by a system and execute some code I have made

This will obviously have to be outsourced and I am aware companies do this but Im just wondering whats the best one you know of with the most flexible interaction from my side where as I can have  code executed when a text is sent

If any of you have been on faceparty you will see what I mean. A member sends a text, charged 75p and then have there profile displayed on the front page

Any information on this would be great !

Thanks!

Well I guess that all depends on how your 'system' works and what the 'code you have made' does.  Does your code read from a text file?  Is your code another function that gets called?  I mean the simplest thing I can tell you knowing what I know right now, is to tell you that you just take the strings gathered from the $_POST[] array and go from there.

Anyone can send mobile text messages  to any phone as long as you know their provider. That isn't secret information or anything. I can create a script that sends mobile text messages for free, heck I can even email my text messages, because that is essentially what is happening.

Not hard to do.

Huh? How!?

Surely you need an SMS gateway

Thats why I mentioned an outsoruced company that caters for this

Please advise? Surely you cant create a php script that can send a text message without having it pass information to an SMS gateway

From what I'm reading (last message slightly confusing) you want to allow users to send texts from their phone to "your" service number and the SMS gateway will tell your system and you can act accordingly.

Clickatell for instance provide incoming SMS (most services will send a POST request to a specified page or they will have some sort of XML communication etc.)

http://www.clickatell.com/products/two_way.php

It's gonna cost you though!

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/939/sms_email_cingular_nextel_sprint_tmobile_verizon_virgin

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

where phonenumber = your 10 digit phone number

This is not new knowledge, I have known for at least 4 years. Heck I was even able to send myself FREE ringtones I created and wallpapers using this methodology.

All it takes is a little google searching. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=send+text+message+from+email

EDIT:

After reading shogun's post and clarifying what was wanted, I am not sure as I have never attempted to have a system receive an SMS message, but I guess the question is why would it have to be an SMS message, why couldn't it just be an email message?

Most mobile phone are capable of sending text messages to email as well as thru an sms and have a reply address like 1234567890@vtext.com so why not use a simple email gateway to accomplish the same thing.  Clients would have to receive a txt message on their phones that you would send to them via the number@theircarrier.com and then they could reply to this and your system could log the inbound address and the account activation code contained in the reply and voila they have an account. This would cut cost exponentially and give you more control over what the sytem does.

Hey frost, how did you get the ringtones and wallpapers for free?  My service provider doesn't charge for downloading text messages but charges for downloading everything else; wouldn't an attachment to a text message be considered a 'download' that would constitute a charge?

Not when you have a deal that gives you 3 months free of data services, in that 3 months I downloaded and created a ton of wallpapers etc. After the 3 months asked them to remove it from my service.

=) But yes it still does cost you, which is why I havn't downloaded anything new for a few years now.

I use itagg for this type of thing.

I can send text messages into a shortcode with a keyword that can send messages back, enter information into a db, activate accounts etc etc. I can send mass texts out from a custom api. I can send mms messages online which will capture and separate video, images and sound and enter them into a db and folder.

iTagg can do all sorts!

Only UK though sadly for those of you over any water!!

Nick

EDIT:

After reading shogun's post and clarifying what was wanted, I am not sure as I have never attempted to have a system receive an SMS message, but I guess the question is why would it have to be an SMS message, why couldn't it just be an email message?

The reason it has to be mobile is to make money

e.g - text blah blah to 80032, will deduct £1 from there mobile credit and into my balance

Obviously that cant be done via email.. thats the only reason as people dont like using credit cards or bank details so doing it via a mobile is the new way

I use itagg for this type of thing.

I can send text messages into a shortcode with a keyword that can send messages back, enter information into a db, activate accounts etc etc. I can send mass texts out from a custom api. I can send mms messages online which will capture and separate video, images and sound and enter them into a db and folder.

iTagg can do all sorts!

Only UK though sadly for those of you over any water!!

Nick

How much do you pay and what do you get for it?

£25 per keyword, you can have up to 100 subkeywords.

£25 for text credit, lasts ages!

You can set up premium rates of 10,15,30,35,50,1.00,1.50,3.00 etc for the user, which you earn commission off.

Great documentation as well as great support!

Ok guys what I want to achieve is this

A member texts my premium rate number, they are charged £1, obviously a portion of that goes to the company that provides the service

So maybe 30p goes to them and 70p goes to me via paypal or direct debit etc

Can this be achieved? Im finding it hard to follow..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.