Trying to alter a table value once its corresponding date has expired

jaimec

Hello,

I'm in need of some help.

I've inherited a site that runs a simple jobs board script and am completely stuck.

When the $job_date_end field has passed then the job as expected, ceases to be live on the site. In the back-end admin section there's also an option to suspend a job. What I want to do is add a line of code that reads whether the $job_end_date has passed, and if so, suspends it $job_status=1

I thought this might work

if ( $job_date_end >= $time ) {
$job_status=0;
} else {
$job_status=1;
}

but I'm getting no joy (I'm a flash designer new to php but trying to learn).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the php code from the script that reads whether a job is still in date and therefore good to be published in the list.

$time = time();

switch ($_GET["sub"]) {

case "details":

$job = $this->db->QFetchArray("SELECT * FROM {$this->tables[job_list]} WHERE job_id = '{$_GET[id]}' AND job_status=0 AND job_date_start <= '{$time}' and job_date_end >= '{$time}'");

//check if is a valid job
		if (is_array($job)) {

//add the extra data
			$job["job_category_title"] = $cache["categories"][$job["job_category"]];
			$job["job_department_title"] = $cache["departments"][$job["job_department"]];
			$job["job_location_title"] = $cache["locations"][$job["job_location"]];
			$job["job_name_title"] = $cache["names"][$job["job_title"]];

$job["referer"] = $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] ? $_SERVER["HTTP_REFERER"] : "list.php";
			$job["job_salary"] = number_format($job["job_salary"] , 2 );
			$job["details_link"] = $job["job_link"] ? $this->templates["details"]->blocks["Link"]->Replace($job) : "";

return $this->templates["details"]->blocks["Main"]->Replace($job);

} else {
			//redirect to error.php
			header("Location: error.php");
			exit;
		}	

Please post how you fill the $time variable. This is just a guess, but I think you are setting $time wrong, or not as the same format as the $job_date_end. For example:

$time = date("Y-m-d")//Valid format for defining $time

$job_date_end = 2006-06-05 //Then code works
//However
$job_date_end = 2006-06-05 21:23:32 //This doesn't work
//or
$job_date_end = 2006:06:05//This wouldn't work either. 

Please post the values of $time and $job_date_end

-Brandon

This is really strange but in the actual MySql database, the latest job entry has a value of

for the job_end_date - when listed on the latest jobs page its comes out as 6 June 2007 which is correct!? I'm guessing there's a converison in the script somewhere.

As for the update query - as jobs are added and expiring on a regular basis, could I add a line of code into the script - eg

mysql_query("UPDATE TABLE  `job_list` SET  job_status=1 WHERE job_date_end < CURDATE());

$site->Run();

would that work or have I mangled the syntax?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.