Apache Stops Windows from Starting!!

Virtuality

I used this software perhaps three years ago, now on my old computer I wanted to get back into it. Got latest PHP5, MySQL4, Apache.

I installed Apache, as a service, and restarted my computer. It would not start, I get a black screen and nothing. The only way to get back into Windows XP was to tell it to use the last known configuration that worked (which removes apache service, can only get it back by repairing the installation).

Then on my new computer, it's doing the same thing. :(

Specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2

2GB DDR2-533 RAM

Intel Duo Core 4300 2 CPU's @1.8ghz each

Geforce 7600GT 256MB Video Card

80GB Sata II HDD @7200 RPM

500 Watt PSU

Try this. Boot into windows using Safe Mode, press F8 before the windows boot loader screen to boot into Safe Mode.

When you get on to the desktop go to Start > Run > (type in) services.msc press enter.

This will bring up the the Services Manager tool. Look through the list of registered services and select the service named Apache. It should be near the top of the list.

Right click on it select properties from the context menu. Now go to the Startup Type pull down menu and choose Manual. Click OK and close all other open windows. What will happen now Windows will not automatically start the Apache service during system startup.

Now restart the computer and boot into windows normally, if it comes up with a screen about using the last knowing configuration etc. Do not use that option. Select the boot windows normally option.

Can you now get in to Windows with the Apache service now disabled?

Hi thanks for the help.

I did this.

1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

2. Apache HTTP Server 2.2.4 -> Change (Other versions of Apache do this too)

3. Repair -> Next next next etc. -> Finish.

4. Run -> Services.msc

5. Apache Service -> Manual (from automatic)

6. Restarted computer.

7. Windows actually loads, taking 2-3x as long as usual. STOP error. (Blue Screen of Death). Flashes so fast I can't see it, I'll change my system options to not auto restart on a STOP error and to log it... IF you really need to know what it said.

Nope, tried a reinstall plenty of times. Tried formatting (was for other reasons) and installing again, no luck. Tried it on a totally different computer. No luck.

But, I rummaged through all my old hardware and managed to find parts to make an entire new computer, which will act as a permanent web server running Fedora Core 6 - Much more stable environment for this sort of thing IMO. Has 256MB DDR400 ram, celeron 2.66ghz processer, 80GB IDE HDD, should be fine.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.