fopen external files

rhyspaterson

Hey guys,

Using FTP to get some files and input their contents into arrays, and then doing things based on the output of the arrays.

The way it works at the moment is i connect to the remote server through FTP and then download the file to my local server, then open and manipulate it as needed.

However is it possible to open the file on the remote server, and then store the contents of it into an array for use on the local machine? Just wondering because this may become a 'free available space' issue and i don't want my script exploding because there is not enough room to write the file locally.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

fopen

<?php
$handle = fopen("/home/rasmus/file.txt", "r");
$handle = fopen("/home/rasmus/file.gif", "wb");
$handle = fopen("http://www.example.com/", "r");
$handle = fopen("ftp://user:password@example.com/somefile.txt", "w");
?> 

fread

<?php
$filename = "c:\\files\\somepic.gif";
$handle = fopen($filename, "rb");
$contents = fread($handle, filesize($filename));
fclose($handle);
?> 

Thanks for the reply,

I have tested that code previously and could never open the file. I have to connect and save the file locally in order for it to work. I am quite sure it has something to do with not have root access through the FTP (which is a good thing).

$handle = fopen("ftp://username:password@domain.com/path/to/my/dir/file.txt", "w") or die("Can't open external file");

Now what i may think the problem is, is when i connect to the FTP server, by default i connect to /home/user/

Does this mean in reality the code is:

$handle = fopen("ftp://username:password@domain.com/home/user/path/to/my/dir/file.txt", "w") or die("Can't open external file");

Therefore the directory is not correct?

Sorry about that, fixed my example above.

Ok tested it in the browser, and

ftp://username:password@domain.com

does actually put me in my home directory, not "/".

In my browser if i use the ../../ commands <b>after</b> i have logged in, i can change to the "/" directory, and then move up to my required directory.

The address in the browser then looks like this:

ftp://domain.com/../../path/to/my/required/directory/file.txt

However if i try paste the code in like this for when i log in:

ftp://username:password@domain.com/../../path/to/my/required/directory/file.txt

I get a file not found.

Is there any way to get around this?

Yeah it does work through a browser. Just not through PHP. It's as though PHP does not understand the ../../.

The error logs just show

fopen(ftp://username:password@domain.com/../../path/to/my/requried/directory/file.txt) [<a href='function.fopen'>function.fopen</a>]: failed to open stream: Success in /var/www/html/home/my/userProfiles/index.php on line 24, referer: http://www.domain.com/my/formResults.php

formResults.php being the file i am running.

Running the exact FTP command im using in the script works fine in the browser.

Hummm, is the username and password required?

as i would like to test it myself, if you can change the username/password or setup a new one for me to test i'll be happy to try myself,

the reason i ask is because i am kinda shooting in the dark at the moment!

edit: feel free to PM me

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.