Page Rank and My site requests a PHP cookie - new

marmite

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. I'm having Page Rank trouble (i.e. since I recoded my site a month ago, none of the new pages have received a page rank, even though they have been crawled etc. Don't know whether I'm being penalized, really sick of waiting now  :'( )

Any tips on that score gratefully received for: www.cardsunlimited.com

Anyway, in an effort to fix this problem, I've installed the lynx browser to view my site and see if there are problems. The first thing it asked for was "ok to allow php cookie bed6fa3b71236be?". But I haven't put any cookies on my site? I wonder if this is causing problems (yes, I am clutching at straws). Is anyone familiar with lynx???

Thanks

Emma

The cookie is the session. It need to either be stored in a cookie or the url, if in the url that is bad for search engine ranking.

If your pages changed or domain name changed you should of done a 301 MOVED PERMANENTLY redirect so the spiders could easily update the DB etc. If that was not done you may be starting for phase 1 again. Also remember that it takes around 6 months for page ranks to "change". You may be in for the waiting period. That is the bad part about trying to do some new stuff and switching, as you may be out of the game for that long.

Oh my god, please no.

what are these phases you refer to?

would it help to do a redirect now?? only, the workflow has changed and so there isn't a one-to-one relationship between old and new pages.

If there isn't a one-to-one relationship and you changed the page names, you are still in bad shape because it is like those pages are brand new and the old ones are just gone. Either way it is probably too late to do anything really, unless you still have the old pages.

But if the page names and domain name stayed the same the only thing that would of maybe killed it was the content changing, which shouldn't of killed at all.

domain is the same, page names are different. I still have the old pages, but they don't have a one-to-one replacement page.

do you have a sample of a redirect page? do i just put a header(location) in the page?

@ taith: the pages are all finished, although i update bits and bobs each day. (did you see a page you didn't think was finished, or was that a general comment?).

I'm so upset! If i'd known all this i would never have changed my site.

Gutted.

Emma

domain is the same, page names are different. I still have the old pages, but they don't have a one-to-one replacement page.

do you have a sample of a redirect page? do i just put a header(location) in the page?

@ taith: the pages are all finished, although i update bits and bobs each day. (did you see a page you didn't think was finished, or was that a general comment?).

I'm so upset! If i'd known all this i would never have changed my site.

Gutted.

Emma

You can try doing a redirect from each of the old pages to the main page of the site.

<?php
header("HTTP/1.1 301 MOVED PERMENANTLY"); // make sure the syntax is right for this at www.php.net/header
header("http://www.yoursite.com/index.php");
?>

un-tested.

EDIT:

Yes it really does take 6 months. Trust me I have done this with many domains, I understand search engines pretty well. If you want to get ranked faster Pay Per Clicks are always around. But remember it does not mean anything without content. Content is the key.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.