Problem with return XML document

Robeast

I am having troubles trying to extract information from an XML document created by a PHP page.  The php page can be viewed <a href="http://nyagwaimethods.com/testpage.php">here</a>.  It is returned and everything is working until I try to extract the information.

Here is the function I am using to try and extract the information from the XML document.

function handleServerResponse()

{

// retrieve the server's response packaged as an XML DOM object

var xmlResponse = xmlHttp.responseXML;

// catching potential errors with IE and Opera

if (!xmlResponse || !xmlResponse.documentElement) throw("Invalid XML structure:\n" + xmlHttp.responseText);

// catching potential errors with Firefox

var rootNodeName = xmlResponse.documentElement.nodeName;

if (rootNodeName == "parsererror") throw("Invalid XML structure:\n" + xmlHttp.responseText);

// getting the root element (the document element)

xmlRoot = xmlResponse.documentElement;

// testing that we received the XML document we expect

if (rootNodeName != "memberInfo" || !xmlRoot.firstChild) throw("Invalid XML structure:\n" + xmlHttp.responseText);

// Trying to get the realName node information

var name = xmlResponse.documentElement.firstChild.nodeName;

var realName =  xmlResponse.documentElement.firstChild.nodeValue;

alert("The Node Name is: " + name + " and the value is: " + realName);

}

I am trying to get the information from the realName node.  Here is the alert output I get "The Node Name is #text and the value is:"  When I print out the rootNodeName variable, memberinfo is outputted, so I know it is getting some information from the XML document.

I am a newbie to the whole XML thing so any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.