Apache 2.0.54 Custom 404 problem

I'm trying to get an Apache/2.0.54 server to use a custom 404 page so that I can provide visitors with links to the homepage, sitemap, etc of a website. Problem is that it doesn't seem to be working as intended...I am still getting the standard 404.

I've made a file .htaccess which contains:

ErrorDocument 404 /custom404.php

I've made a file custom404.php in the same directory which uses the site's default layout but with text warning that file not found, links to other places, etc.

The website is hosted on a server that hosts several other sites. The directory structure for this website is as follows:

WEBSITENAME

>cgi-bin

>homes

>logs

>public_html

All the content for the website is contained in the public_html directory. This is where I have both the .htaccess and custom404.php files.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem. Thanks

Make sure your host allows you to use .htaccess files. You can test this by adding an invalid option into a .htaccess file like so:

aaa

Save that file in public_html now go to your website. If you get a 500 Internal Server Error then .htaccess files are enabled. if you don't then you can't use .htaccess as they are not enabled. You will have to edit the httpd.conf file to enabled .htaccess files.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.