[SOLVED] Time Limit To Delete From Mysql

graham23s

Hi Guys,

on my site i allow users to upload .doc, .pdf and image files, over time these files will build up on the server and take up a bit of space, i was thinking of adding a "clean up" button in the admin section where files/users older than a certain time are deleted from mysql and the files (unlinked) can anyone advise me on the best way to acomplish this.

i know i need to query the database then find all files uploaded (say after 28 days for example)

is that on the right track or is there another way at all?

thanks guys

Graham

personally... i'd only allow files to last for 1 day... so...

$day=date(z);
$query=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `files` WHERE day!='$day'");
while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($query)){
unlink($row[filepath]);
mysql_query("DELETE FROM `files` WHERE `id`='$row[id]' LIMIT 1");
}

Hi Taith,

would the process of deleteing users just be pretty much the same but delete from the `membership` table? what would the syntax to work out say 28 days in mysql be at all?

thanks mate

Graham

yup! just find the ones that are past the expirey dates, pull them into the loop, delete all relevent information from all your tables/files, delete user, can even send em an email if you want :-) telling them the account has gone poof :-)

if you do want to set a date(z)-30 exipery date... remember about january... if($date<0) $date+=364; as it counts 0-364(non leap year withstanding, but if its leap year, feburary wouldnt get caught by it...)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.