Simple table/border issue...

immanuelx2

Hi, I'm trying to get a menu for my page.... All I want is 1 <table>, 1 <tr> and 1 <td> to achieve the desired effect (see attachment).

Basically, I have tried every combination of border-collapse, border-top, border-bottom, but I can't seem to get the 5px darker border (top/bottom) and the 1px white border (top/bottom) at the same time....

Any help is appreciated!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Don't use a table, use a div. Look into using a list too but apply the principles below.

html

<div class="outer">
<a href="#"></a>
</div>

css

.outer {width:200px; height:auto; background:#000; padding:5px 0;}
.outer a {display:block; width:200px; height:30px; background:#c00; border-top:1px solid #fff; border-bottom:1px solid #fff;}

You'd need html like this

<ul id="menu">
<li><a href="link.html">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="link.html">Page1</a></li>
<li><a href="link.html">Page2</a></li>
<li><a href="link.html">Page3</a></li>
<li><a href="link.html">Page4</a></li>
</ul>

And css like this

ul#menu {padding:0; margin:0; list-style-type:none;} /* removes all the default styles from the list */
ul#menu li {float:left;} /* the float makes the list elements horizontal */
ul#menu a, ul#menu a:visited {display:block; float:left;}

Add a width and height to your list. Same for the <a> elements. Play around with styles and see how it comes out in your browser. Make sure that you check your css and markup are valid by using this website - http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/.

Hope that helps

Your markup and css are a mess

- You closed the body or html tags.

- You haven't modified the code I posted in anyway or made the additions I said would be required.

- You've mistakenly tried to combine your tables, the div example, and the list example.

...I'm not even sure I understand what you are looking for anymore. So I'm just going to post some basic examples:

A CSS horizontal list-based menu:

<html>
<head>
<title>Website</title>

<style type="text/css">

ul#menu {padding:0; margin:0; list-style-type:none; } /* removes all the default styles from the list */
ul#menu li {float:left;} /* the float makes the list elements horizontal */
ul#menu a, ul#menu a:visited {display:block; float:left; height:25px; line-height:25px; width:60px; background: #eeeedd; color:#6a0000; text-decoration:none; text-align:center; border-right:1px solid #fff;}
ul#menu a:hover {background: #e4e4c3;}

</style>

</head>

<body>

<ul id="menu">
<li><a href="link.html">Home</a></li>
<li><a href="link.html">Skills</a></li>
<li><a href="link.html">Bestiary</a></li>
<li><a href="link.html">Forums</a></li>
</ul>

</body>
</html>

The appearance you want for some sort of box containing links

<html>
<head>
<title>Website</title>

<style type="text/css">

.outer {width:300px; height:auto; background:#e4e4c3; padding:5px 0; }
.inner {width:300px; height:50px; background:#eeeedd; border-top:1px solid #ffffff; border-bottom:1px solid #ffffff; }
.inner a {color:#6a0000; text-decoration:none;}
</style>

</head>

<body>

<div class="outer">
<div class="inner">
» <a href="link.html">my link</a> » <a href="link.html">my link</a> » <a href="link.html">my link</a> » <a href="link.html">my link</a>
</div>
</div>

</body>
</html>

I appreciate it, the second set of code you gave me is perfect. I will work on the it, and i'll try to get rid of tables all together. One question though, how do i set a <div> to be in the center of a page? Should i use <center> before it or is there a better way?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.