Single Quote issue

NerdConcepts

Ok, some have read my other error topics. Here is something I have having fits with now. I import a .csv file into a temp database, then compare it to the permanent database. If the record is new it updates, if it is old it inserts it. No problem right? WRONG! There is a single field that has "FIRE'n UP Discount" in it. When the data moves from the temp database to the permanent one it throws the following code.

MySQL Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'n UP Discount|DIU 18 MO','05/24/2007','2007-05' at line 1

Yes, that single quote is processed fine when importing the csv into the temp database. So what I am asking is how to I do this? I understand why it is throwing the code, just don't know how to fix it. I know there is a way to to completely copy information no matter if it is a single quote or not, I just cannot remember or figure out how to do it. If someone could help I would be really grateful :)

Yeah, I know single quotes are a part of MySQL syntax, and I have been looking into the  mysql_real_escape_string() function but I can't figure out to make it work with my application. Here is some code I use...

$query = "SELECT * FROM csv_temp";
$result = mysql_query($query) or trigger_error("Query: $sql\n<br />MySQL Error: " . mysql_error());

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {
$c01 = $row['ACKNOWLEDGED'];

$qFind = "SELECT * FROM csv_data WHERE WORK_ORDER_NUMBER='$c14'";
$rFind = mysql_query($qFind) or trigger_error("Query: $qFind\n<br />MySQL Error: " . mysql_error());

if (mysql_affected_rows() == 1) {
            // Code to update is here
        } else {
            // Code to insert is here
        }
}

Am I supposed to do something like this with $c01 ?

$c01 = mysql_real_escape_string($row['ACKNOWLEDGED'], $c01);    ??

Not sure, I looked the command up but can't find any good examples that apply to what I am doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.