in over my head

Yes, I am in over my head with a project and I need some help.  I have been slowly learning on my own but a good friend came to me with a script and asked me to modify it... the page is kind of long, but here are the parts I think are relevant...

[pre]

$seekthis = (int) get_param("seeking", 1);

echo 'look for: ' .$seekthis;

[/pre]

returns "look for:5"

[pre]

p_orientation=" . to_sql(DB::result("SELECT id FROM const_orientation WHERE id=" . get_param("seeking", 1), "Number"), "Number") . ",

[/pre]

or equivalently (I tried both ways)

[pre]

p_orientation=" . to_sql($seekthis, "Number") . ",

[/pre]

these yield 0 in my the field named p_orientation

the statement replaced

[pre]

p_orientation=" . to_sql(DB::result("SELECT search FROM const_orientation WHERE id=" . to_sql(get_session("j_orientation"), "Number")), "Number") . ",

[/pre]

this second statement was using a variable which has no more use, but did perform it's alotted function.

if there are other relevant statements I am missing, please msg me if you can take a bit of time to  help.

get_param() I have found references too as part of a library

the other is a rather simple lib function which can been see here:

http://www.railsapi.org/activerecord-connectionadapters-tabledefinition-to_sql

This was a purchase by a friend who spent $600 to get 95% of the functionality he wanted and I'm just trying to finish things off for him...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.