ASP with MS Access Question

techie211

I'm new at this so bear with me. I've been playing with ASP and Access as my database. I would rather use PHP with SQL instead. I just want to create a simple site that has a login page and a table that has student info that's viewable and the users can also edit. Right now all that info is stored in an access database. I guess I need to know if PHP w/SQL can do anything ASP w/Access can do. Any help and possible link to set this up is appreciated. ;)

-T

I guess I need to know if PHP w/SQL can do anything ASP w/Access can do. Any help and possible link to set this up is appreciated. ;)

It depends on what type of functionality. Access, really just sucks. MySQL is nearly 10,000 times better, except to create a report with MySQL you generally have to build it with PHP. But Access has to be the WORST database program ever built.

At anyrate comparing to ASP, PHP is very comparable, perhaps the best and biggest different is PHP is opened source, and usually VERY cheap to host. ASP costs more money to host and it is generally hosted on windows, compared to PHP hosted on Linux, which is more secure.

But if you know the syntax and how to use PHP, PHP can do everything ASP can do, and it can do it better =) (at least in my opinion). Ive coded in ASP for a a couple years for a job, hated every second of it.

I guess I need to know if PHP w/SQL can do anything ASP w/Access can do. Any help and possible link to set this up is appreciated. ;)

It depends on what type of functionality. Access, really just sucks. MySQL is nearly 10,000 times better, except to create a report with MySQL you generally have to build it with PHP. But Access has to be the WORST database program ever built.

At anyrate comparing to ASP, PHP is very comparable, perhaps the best and biggest different is PHP is opened source, and usually VERY cheap to host. ASP costs more money to host and it is generally hosted on windows, compared to PHP hosted on Linux, which is more secure.

But if you know the syntax and how to use PHP, PHP can do everything ASP can do, and it can do it better =) (at least in my opinion). Ive coded in ASP for a a couple years for a job, hated every second of it.

thanks for the replies. do you know of any good books/sites to achieve what I need to do?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.