Sending newsletter in cycles

dhimok

Well it won't timeout :\ PHP Scripts will only timeout if they are stuck on a function for your max execution time. I have one massive database transfer script that takes about an hour to execute :P, thank god its my server or I'd have some ticked off NAs

<?php

$emails = array("email1@site.com", "email2@site.com");

$message = "This email was sent by PHP!";

$from = "noreply@mysite.com";

$subject = "Sent from PHP";

foreach($emails as $email) {
$headers = "From: {$from}";
mail($email, $subject, $message, $headers);
echo "Sent to {$email}<br />\n";
}

?>

I have no problem sending the email. I was thinking more like lets say

I must send 1000 emails

so First I send 100 and then 100 and so on. Does the functions sleep() helps with this?

sending 100 and then

sleep(5) // 5 seconds

and then start again with the next set of emails until they are done

Well hypothetically speaking you could add an integer and an if statement saying

if( $i == 100 || $i == 200 ){

sleep( 10 );

}

Then it would sleep on whatever numbers you specified, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

Everytime you refresh the page it will re-parse so unless you have something like a DB table to confirm which ones sent and which ones didn't you won't be able to.

You *may* be able to store them all as one huge array in a session variable but that would be pretty inefficent.

Maybe if you explained why exactly you want to take a break between e-mailing?

Use ini_set() to set the maximum execution time, and just loop through all of them. It won't timeout as long as it doesn't hit a neverending loop.

Exactly, like I said above. My server has a maximum execution time of 30 seconds, however I have a script that runs for a little of an hour. Execution time only exists when it hits a neverending loop and thus hangs executing that one function for the preset length of time.

To e-mail 1 million subscribers will take quite a while, but the PHP script won't timeout as long as it is pogrammed correctly without any never-ending loops.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.