Newbie - so close! can't get select check box to delete record to work...

greencoin

Hi again - ugh I feel like an idiot having to ask for so much help.

This last bit of code should finish my project up but I'm having a hard time getting it working. It's supposed to post the variables to itself and refresh the page when the record is deleted but I can't get the records to delete. I was getting the page to refresh however - just no deleted records?! (it's currently kicking out "T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE" errors on line 34 cause I made a change on my submit button - that's not the real problem however)

Take a look at it please and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance, AGAIN..  ??? ~Rich

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("xxxxxxxxxxx", "GCsales", "xxxxxxxxxx"); 
if (!$con)
{
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
}
$view=$_GET["view"];
$id=$_GET["cid"];
switch ($view) {
case "list":

mysql_select_db("GCsales", $con); 
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM GC_Tracker");

echo "<table border='1'>
<tr>
<td>Name</td>
<td>Sex</td>
<td>Age</td>
<td>Delete</td>
</tr>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
  echo "<tr>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['customer'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['area'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td>" . $row['city'] . "</td>";
  echo "<td><input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"delete_items[]\" value=\"" . $row['cid'] . "\"></td>";
  echo "</tr>";
}
echo "<table border='1'>
<tr>
<td colspan=4><input type=\"button\" onClick=\"parent.location='delete.php?id=$row['cid']'\"></td>; //<-- this is line 34
</tr>";

echo "</table>";

break;
case "delete":
   $delete_items = implode(",",$_GET['delete_items']);
mysql_select_db("WB", $con);
mysql_query("DELETE FROM GC_Tracker WHERE cid IN ($delete_items)");
mysql_close($con);
    $url="delete.php?view=list";
    header("Location: $url");
    break;
} 
?>

Are you checking for mysql_errno/mysql_error?

...lete.php?id=$row['id']'\"></td>;

Is that Line 34?  (You should mark which line the error is on with a comment (// This is line 34) or something to make it easier for us.)

When interpolating array values into a double quoted string, lose the single quotes around the index.

<td colspan=4><input type=\"button\" onClick=\"parent.location='delete.php?id=$row[id]'\"></td>

Or you can use curly braces around the variable. {}

egads! - the syntax will be the death of me. Have modified the code I posted as requested

Tested your input and now I get a blank screen when the delete button is pressed. My url looks like this "http://www.xxxxxxxxx/rich/backend/delete.php?id="

I'm thinkin it should look like "http://www.xxxxxxxxx/rich/backend/delete.php?delete=1"

the records I selected are not deleted.

Thanx ~Rich

CID is the name of the primary key used in the GC_Tracker table -

What the code is supposed to do is query and post table data when loaded using the url "delete.php?view=list".

When a checkbox is selected and the delete button is pressed it posts the value of the checkbox(es) in the header and passes those query strings to itself via "delete.php?delete_items=1&delete_items=4...etc"

after it gets the query string, it deletes the record from the table and requeries the table for the current info.

It was a snippet of code I found and added to but can't seem to get it to work right.... can't figure it out and I know it's gonna be something simple like always. is really kickin my chickin right now. ~Rich

If you're trying to create an array of items, your GET URL should be:

delete.php?delete_items[]=1&delete_items[]=4...etc
- or -
delete.php?delete_items%91%93=1&delete_items%91%93=4...etc

When debugging it helps to print out the strings you're creating to make sure they make sense.  In this case, you should be checking the value of $delete_items.

sorry sasa - this is what I get;

"Warning: implode(): Bad arguments. in /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/delete.php on line 41

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxx/delete.php:41) in /home/content/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/delete.php on line 46"

thanks ~Rich

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.