Subdomains In XAMPP 1.6.2

tarun

In order to do that you will have to edit your host file (On Win XP it is in "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts") and add the following line to it:

127.0.0.1	test.localhost

Then setup a Virtual Host within the httpd.conf file for each subdomain you setup within the hosts file.

Here is an example of what you have to do here. And here is the documentation for setting up virtual hosts.

NOTE: You must restart Windows when you make any changes to the hosts files. Also make a backup of you hosts file before making any changes - boot into safe mode to make a backup of this file.

I Can't Save The hosts file once ive edited it

In Notepad It Says

Cannot create the C:\Windows\System32\drivera\etc\hosts file.

Make sure the path and file name are correct.

And In EditPlus I Get

This is a read-only document.

I Think It's Because There Is No File Extension In The "hosts" File What Should I Do Now...?

When you go to save the file in notepad make sure the File Type box is set to All Files and not Text Document (*.txt). If you cannot save changes to the hosts file then there may be security software on your computer that is preventing you from saving to the hosts file. For example I have ZoneAlarm Firewall. It has the option called 'Lock host file' (under Firewall > Advanced). If that setting is enabled then I get similar errors as to you.

Well I Used A Different Method It Was Due To Windows Vista UAC (User Account Control)

Then I Did As Told And Then Restarted My Computer

But I Got "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" When Viewing An http://localhost Page

So I Reverted Back To The Old Files

Now I Shall Wait A While And Read Up On What I Did Wrong And Learn A Bit More

Then I May Try Again...

Anyway

Thnx For Your Help... :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.