Trying to figure out why this login page doesn't work

simcoweb

I'm using a simple 2 field form 'Username' and 'Password' and 'submitted'. It's checking against the database for existence, etc. etc. but nothing happens. Even with the errors. If I submit leaving the fields blank the errors don't display. It just refreshes the page. Hmmm.

Code:

<?php
session_start();
// Seattle Viet Homes customer login
include 'db_config.php';
// check for form submission
if (isset($_POST['submitted'])) {
  $errors = array();
  if (empty($_POST['Username']) || empty($_POST['Password'])) {
    $errors[] = "<h3>Error!</h3><p><font face='Verdana' size='2'>You must complete the username and password fields. Please try again";
  } else {
$username = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Username']);
$password = md5($_POST['Password']);

// validate username and password against the database
  $sql = "SELECT FROM users WHERE username = '$username' AND password ='$password' ";
  $results = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
  if($results == 1) {
    $_SESSION['searchlog'] = $_POST['searchlog'];
    header("Location: search.php");
    exit;
} else {
  $errors[] = "<h3>Error!</h3><p><font face='Verdana' size='2'>Your username and password did not match our database. Please check your username and password you have on file and try again.<p><a href='login.htm'>Click Here</a> to return to the login page."; 
}
}
}
?>

Form code:

<fieldset><legend>Customer Login</legend>
<form method="POST" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" name="searchlog">

<span lang="en-us">  </span>

<input type="text" name="Username" size="16" value="" style="border: 1px solid #666666; padding: 2px"><br>
  <input name="Password" size="16" value="" style="border: 1px solid #000000; padding: 2px"> 
   <br>
   <input border="0" src="images/login.gif" name="submitted" width="40" height="16" type="image">
   <br>
  <input type="hidden" name="searchlog" value="searchlog">
  <font face="Verdana" size="1"><span lang="en-us">  </span>Not registered? <a href="register.php">Click here!</a></font>
</form>

</fieldset>

well, i got an error, but thats because i tested it on my test server

and the only thing i edited was from an image to a submit type button, and it works, other changes were minor...

this is the code ive got:

<?php
session_start();
// Seattle Viet Homes customer login
mysql_connect('xxxx','xxxx','xxxx');
mysql_select_db('xxxx');
if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
  $errors = array();
    $errors[] = "<h3>Error!</h3><p><font face='Verdana' size='2'>You must complete the username and password fields. Please try again";
  } else {

$sql = "SELECT FROM users WHERE username = '$username' AND password ='$password' ";
  if($results == 1) {
    exit;
} else {
  $errors[] = "<h3>Error!</h3><p><font face='Verdana' size='2'>Your username and password did not match our database. Please check your username and password you have on file and try again.<p><a href='login.htm'>Click Here</a> to return to the login page."; 
}
}
}
?>

Form:

<form method="POST" action="<?php $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" name="searchlog">

<input type="text" name="Username" size="16" value="" style="border: 1px solid #666666; padding: 2px"><br>
  <input name="Password" size="16" value="" style="border: 1px solid #000000; padding: 2px"> 
   <br>
   <input name="submit" type="submit" value="Login">
   <br>
  <input type="hidden" name="searchlog" value="searchlog">
  <font face="Verdana" size="1"><span lang="en-us">  </span>Not registered? <a href="register.php">Click here!</a></font>
</form>

I was having the same problem a month ago when I first started learning PHP. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the issue was - I had the form processed by a separate script to fix the issue. Don't know why that worked, but it did.

Well ain't that a hummer. I took your image idea there, lewis987, and now at least I get an error. Before I got nothing. The error is a MySQL error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'FROM users WHERE username = 'barfbag' AND password ='ea02465f625de29a9dfb11f1b3e' at line 1

the password is MD5 encoded as you probably noticed. Not sure what would be causing this error unless I have to reference the password field also as MD5 in the query. Anyone?

On the image issue, I seem to now recall that you have to name the image something special in order for it to work. Anyone have some info on that?

Heh... one silly * missing. Didn't notice it :(  Well, that's why I have all you guys and your eyes!

Now I just have to figure out why it's not recognizing the username/password that I know is in there. Probably something with the MD5 encryption where i'm not checking it right.

Ok, fixed the code for the login form in regards to the errors in the mysql query. Now, new issue.

It's not recognizing the username/password combo generated by the registration form. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how it's creating and handling the MD5 password. Not 100% on that but seems to be the place to look since I don't see how it can't match up with an unencrypted username.

Here's the code from the 'register' script that generates the MD5 and insertion:

// if no errors
if (empty($errors)) {
// create random activation code
$a = md5(uniqid(rand(), true));
$date = date("F j, Y, g:i a");
$firstname = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['First_Name']);
$lastname = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Last_Name']);
$sell = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Need_to_sell']);
$preapproval = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Preapproval']);
$have = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Have_Realtor']);
$contact = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Contact']);
$current = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Current_Realtor']);
$when = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['How_soon']);

// run query to insert data
$query = "INSERT INTO users (First_Name, Last_Name, Email, Username, Password, Phone, Zip, Need_to_sell, Preapproval, Have_Realtor, Contact, Current_Realtor, How_soon, active, date) VALUES ('$firstname', '$lastname', '$email', '$username', SHA('$password'), '$phone', '$zip', '$sell', '$preapproval', '$have', '$contact', '$current', '$when', '$a', '$date')";

// check results
$result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());

Here's the login query to match it:

$errors = array();
  } else {

$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE Username = '$username' AND Password ='$password' AND status='1' ";
  if(mysql_num_rows($results) > 0) {
    exit;
} else {
  $errors[] = "<h3>Error!</h3><p><font face='Verdana' size='2'>An error has occurred for one of the following reasons:<p>Your username and password did not match our database. Please check your username and password you have on file and try again.<p>You have not activated your account. An email was sent to you when you registered that requires you to click on an enclosed link to validate your email address and registration. Check your email and follow the instructions. In some cases this email may be diverted to your spam or junk box by accident."; 
}
}
}

I didn't post that part as it's a piece of the overall error checking. Here it is:

$errors = array();
	require_once ('db_config.php');
// validate first and last name fields are completed

// run validation for username
if (eregi('^[[:alnum:]\.\'\-]{4,30}$', stripslashes(trim($_POST['Username']))) ) {
	$user = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Username']);
	$query = "SELECT Username FROM users WHERE Username = '$user'";
	$result = @mysql_query($query);
	$num = @mysql_num_rows($result);
	if ($num> 0) {
		$errors[] = '<font color="red">The username you have chosen has already been taken, please try again.</font>';
	} else {
	}
} else {
	$errors[] = '<font color="red">Please provide a valid username between 4 and 30 characters.</font>';
}
// validate password
if (!empty($_POST['Password1'])) {
	if ($_POST['Password1'] != $_POST['Password2']) {
		$errors[] = '<font color="red">The 2 passwords you have entered do not match.</font>';
	} else {
		$password = $_POST['Password1'];
	}
} else {
	$errors[] = '<font color="red">Please provide a password.</font>';
}
// check to make sure email is valid format
if (!eregi('^[a-zA-Z]+[a-zA-Z0-9_-]*@([a-zA-Z0-9]+){1}(\.[a-zA-Z0-9]+){1,4}', stripslashes(trim($_POST['Email'])) )) {
	$errors[] = '<font color="red">Please provide a valid email address.</font>';
} else {
	$email = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Email']);
}
// check other required fields
if (empty($_POST['Email']) || empty($_POST['Phone']) || empty($_POST['Zip']))
    {
  $errors[] = '<font color="red">Your email address, phone number and zip code are required. Please complete those fields and re-submit.';
} else {
  $phone = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Phone']);
  $zip = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['Zip']);
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.