UPDATE not working

wrathican

hi ive never used mysql UPDATE before in a php script. ive made a kind of CMS system so a user can update the content of a page.

ive tried to make the process script and it uses an if statement to see if the variables contains a value, if it does it runs the update query if not it says there was an error. but when ive put some input into the field and run the script it outputs what i made if th script has run properly. but when i go to the page that i updated the content its still the same. any help?

here is the code for my process form:

<?php 

$id = $_POST['id'];
	  $title = $_POST['title'];
	  $content = $_POST['content'];

if ($id == "")
	  {
	  echo "I\'m sorry but there seems to be an error. Please go back and try again.";

}else{

$query = "UPDATE cy_content SET cont_title='$title', cont_content='$content' WHERE id='$id'";

mysql_query($query);

echo 'Page has been updated. Please go <a href="cms.php">back</a> and select another back to update.';
	  };
	  ?>

Whenever you're looking to debug something with a query, you should do something like the following:

mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error().'<br />Query:'.$query);

If there is still no error found, then it's always worth echoing the contents of the query to see what values are in the variables:

mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error().'<br />Query:'.$query);
echo '<br />Query:'.$queryl

even if you put the connection i dont think the update function will work

try this

$query = "UPDATE cy_content SET cont_title='".$title."', cont_content='".$content."' WHERE id= $id  ";

this

"....... WHERE id= $id  "//ok

"....... WHERE id= ".$id."  "//ok

"....... WHERE id= '".$id."'  "//ok

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.