PHP GET parameters

NoComment

Hi!

Two questions:

1) I have been reading an article (http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/searchengine.php?article=searchengine&kind=sl&id=4863&open=1&anc=0&view=1 ) which basically said that search engines will tend to ignore pages which contain GET parameters in their links... (e.g. www.example.com/thread.php?id=391). Now my question is:

Do I have to avoid GET parameters to make all of my pages accessible over, let's say, Google? Or is this article simply out-dated (it says it was written in 2001)?

2) Is there a way to successfully return a page, but tell the user agent that the URL of the returned webpage is actually different from the one the user entered? An example:

The user opens www.example.com/thread.php?id=392

The server successfully returns the webpage, but tells the user agent, that the correct URL is actually "www.example.com/thebestthreadintheworld". Then the user agent automatically changes the URL in the address bar to the new URL, so when the user should bookmark it, the new, but correct URL is saved.

What is important to me: I don't want use redirecting via header("Location: ...")-- and I don't want to use .htaccess. Is there a way to do that?

Any comment would be appreciated,

Na the best idea is to set up a good site map for good SEO  and in your site map include some pages with the get vars, that or make a dynamic site map and when a new get var is added tack it onto the site map. (for example each new thread edits the sitemap apenending it with additional IDs)

Na the best idea is to set up a good site map for good SEO  and in your site map include some pages with the get vars, that or make a dynamic site map and when a new get var is added tack it onto the site map. (for example each new thread edits the sitemap apenending it with additional IDs)

First of all, thank you for the quick reply.

Sorry about that, but it didn't help much. I don't need to deal with site maps or such, I just need an answer to my 2 questions, since their answer is important to the design of my site. :(

1. first thing i got a good quiston you was told somethink in a post that was inportant a site map meaning a page with all your links including the links to all your old and new post's from you new created web site, This would result in better search engine postition and is part off ur quistion but u wanted to go the hard way here it is.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/guide-url-rewriting

mod_rewrite is the correct way to both quistions ok.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.