[SOLVED] mysql_query with PHP constant

nicangeli

Hello all, i am a complete n00b so take it easy.

I am writign a script and have come to an issue. I am attempting to write data to a mysql database, but where i have the table name and field names etc i wish to use constants. I hope this makes sense. Below is code.

$query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO TABLE_NAME (FIELD_NAME)");

where table_name and field_name are constants. Please help.

If i have not explained this properly please just ask.

Thanks again...

I think that PHP only interprets variables in double-quoted strings; not constants. Instead of defining TABLE_NAME and FIELD_NAME as constants, why not just define variables instead? It seems like that would be more standard procedure....

Even so, though, you could fix the problem by concatenating:

<?php
$query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO ".TABLE_NAME." (".FIELD_NAME.")");
?>

thanks very much. That worked perfectly, (i knew i was overlookign something).

The reason for me too use constants instead of variables is that i was not thinking at the time when i defined all the parts of my database in one file so that if i needed to rename parts of the database, then i would only have to had changed one line of code. Also i believed that a constant should be used as it cannot be changed by the script unlike a variable, however know i realise it make nout difference.

Thanks again,

Nick

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.