Adding strings to a query string?

Petty_Crim

I want to use my string $stringvar to show text in this sql query. ATM its sticking "$player, $score" into a field, I want it to instead print it out into the sql statement.

This is my code:

$stringvar="$player, $score";

$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map', $stringvar, '$result')");

This is what I want the sql query thing to look like:

$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map', $player, $score, '$result')");

Im really not sure what your asking - it looks to me like you've answered your own question.

The bottom is an example of the theory of it, but I want to use $stringvar not $player and $score if that makes any sense. $stringvar contains the text "$player, $score".

I want to add a string with multiple variable names in it to a mysql insert statement.

Personally im still at a loss to understand what you are asking. Are you saying you want to add a new field to your database table? Are you saying that, presently, you get the exact text "$player, $score" entered into your database, rather than the values of those variables(for example, you might expect "player 1, 100" to be entered)?

Personally im still at a loss to understand what you are asking. Are you saying you want to add a new field to your database table? Are you saying that, presently, you get the exact text "$player, $score" entered into your database, rather than the values of those variables(for example, you might expect "player 1, 100" to be entered)?

I dont want to create new fields. In my database each player has their own field, with it named after them ie John has a field in my db called John. I've got a string variable $stringvar, this variable is passed through a loop and the field names are added to it ie $stringvar.=$fld->name. So once the loops is finished the value of $stringvar equals something similar to: ,John, Fred so on.

All i want to do is attach that $stringvar to a mysql insert statement I already got,  I want to add this to the statement to complete it, but my problem is I don't know how to do this.

This is the statement atm:

$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map' $stringvar, '$result')");

That statement seems to just put $stringvar (which has the values of many fields in it) into 1 field. Ie say $stringvar=", $john, $fred" it will put that into 1 field rather then putting $john into john and $fred into fred.

I want $stringvar to be treated as text and as part of that mysql query statement.

Both these statements should do the same thing:

$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map' , $John, $Fred, $Larry, $Mat, $Robert, $Kevin, '$result')");

$stringvar=", $John, $Fred, $Larry, $Mat, $Robert, $Kevin";

$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map' $stringvar, '$result')");

OK, I'm a newbie and probably got the wrong end of the stick, but if I read your question right then try doing this:

$q = ""INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map', " . $stringvar . ", '$result')"

$sql=mysql_query($q);

You need to either escape the dollar sign or use single quotes.

<?php

$stringvar="\$player, \$score"; // one way
$stringvar='$player, $score'; // equivalent way

$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map', $stringvar, '$result')");

// This is what I want the sql query thing to look like:
$sql=mysql_query("INSERT INTO $game_db VALUES ('$new_matchid', '$opponent', '$map', $player, $score, '$result')");

?>

However, that won't do what you expect it to do.  The variables will never be interpolated unless you use eval().

Edit:  You do know, however, that you'll be getting the same results as if you just did it the way you are originally doing it, by composing a substring "$player, $score" and putting that in the mysql_query string.  It doesn't matter where those variables are interpolated, unless you change them in between.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.