Remote database and Security

Leppy

Hello,

I have a PHP script that uses MySQL for almost all its features. Although, in a few days, I will need to move the PHP script to another server but the MySQL database will remains on its own server. So I will have 2 servers, 1 with the script and 1 with the MySQL database.

Now, I could easily create a new mysql user and allowing only the IP address of the server where the script is but is it safe and/or a good practice? And most importantly is it fast? I've used this method in the past and honestly it was slowing down my scripts a inch and I need it to be running as fast as it can be.

I've thought about mysql replication but my DB is over 2 GB and there are alot of entries made every 10 minutes and I'd like to safe as much bandwidth as I can. The information I need from the database on my php script is in about 2 table and is less than 1 MB so replicating 2GB+ would not such a good idea, space and bandwidth wise, correct me if I'm wrong though.

I've also thought about creating the needed table on a database on the PHP server, but if I need to update it, I'd like it to be updated on the 2 servers without me having to code another script.

Perhaps someone here have a suggestion or a thought on what I should do... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.