[SOLVED] mysql_query() and union - unsupported?

GingerRobot

Hopefully just a quick question. Would i be right in thinking that the UNION command does not work in a query made using the mysql_query() function?

I see that multiple queries are unsupported, and i guess using UNION is like having a multiple query.

If someone could just confirm, i'd be grateful.

Ben

Are you sure? If i try this query in phpMyAdmin:

SELECT `score` FROM `ranking` WHERE `id`='3' UNION SELECT `score` FROM `ranking` WHERE `id`='5'

Then i get an output showing two scores:

score 

However, if i use the following php script:

<?php
include('test_db_connection.php');
$result = mysql_query("SELECT `score` FROM `ranking` WHERE `id`='3' UNION SELECT `score` FROM `ranking` WHERE `id`='5'")or die(mysql_error());
print_r(mysql_fetch_assoc($result));

?>

Then i only get the first score as an output:

Array ( [score] => 96 )

I appreciate its a highly pointless query - this is just for testing purposes.

You do know that phpMyAdmin uses mysql_query right?

Anyhow the issue is you are not looping through the rows.

<?php
$result = mysql_query("SELECT `score` FROM `ranking` WHERE `id`='3' UNION SELECT `score` FROM `ranking` WHERE `id`='5'")or die(mysql_error());
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
      $rows[] = $row;
}

print_r($rows);
?>

You can run multiple queries via mysql_query with the semi-colon operated.  Thats not a subquery.

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE table_2_id_col IN(SELECT id FROM table2 WHERE x=1);

That is what mysql <= 3.x cannot handle.

SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE table_2_id_col = 1; SELECT * FROM table_name2;

"Should" work. That is why SQL Injection is such a worry because if someone did this:

$_GET['id'] = "' OR 1; DELETE FROM table_name; SELECT * from table_name WHERE id = '1";
SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE table_2_id_col = '$_GET['id']'

Could potentially trash your table.

But as far as I know the ; separator should work for ya, again I am unsure but it should.

Well, if i run the following code:

<?php
$sql = "INSERT INTO `ranking` VALUES ('','200');INSERT INTO `ranking` VALUES ('','200')";
mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
?>

Then i get the error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ';INSERT INTO `ranking` VALUES ('','200')' at line 1

And the php manual does say that multiple queries are not supported with mysql_query()

Interesting. I could have sworn I have done that before, but maybe I am wrong.

I will have to look more into it. I know something similar is possible, cause if it wasn't SQL Injection wouldn't be a huge issue as it is.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.