Access control to areas of website

nynvye

I created a website for our college radio which is held on a server outside the college framework.

As well as all the usual public stuff it also has a studio management area which gives presenters access to such things as the register, notes and reading the requests.

I want to make it so they can only access this area when they are using the computer in the studio, which is part of the college network.

At the moment I've had to use a very basic system where they have to upload a file to the server to be checked, which is held on a floppy on the studio machine, but obviously this is far from foolproof.

Getting the IP obviously wouldn't work as it would just get the college's IP address which would show as the same for every computer in the college.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

what kind of server is the server outside of the campus? if it is a linux server, and running appache, you can easily password protect the folder or files with .htaccess and .htpassword files. There are many tutorials online how to do this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.