[SOLVED] trying to read a csv file and insert individual fields into correct colunms

cluce

I have the a small table that is username(varchar 50) and password(varchar 50). And a csv file with 2 colunms such as this.....

username|password

user1 pass1

user2 pass2

user3 pass3

user4 pass4

user5 pass5

I know how to read a csv in a loop and display it on a browser and use an UPDATE query to update one colunm but how can I pick out colunm 1 data(username) and put it in a string and pick out colunm 2 data(password) and put it in a string and use the INSERT INTO users(username, password) VALUES(userX, passX ) to insert the data into the database.

here is my code..

<?php
$counter = 1; //initialize counter

include'db.php';

$handle = fopen("pass.csv","r");
while(($data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000, ",")) !== FALSE) 
{
   $username = $data[0];   
   $password = $data[2];   

$sql = 'INSERT INTO users (username , password) VALUES ("'.$username.'", "'.$password.'")';
   mysqli_query($mysqli, $sql);   
   $counter++;
}
?>

what its doing is inserting only the passwords and putting it in the username colunm? can someone give me some insight on this?

OK here is what I have which I was expecting. I just dont know how to fix it

SQL=INSERT INTO users (username , password) VALUES ("pass1", "")

SQL=INSERT INTO users (username , password) VALUES ("pass2", "")

SQL=INSERT INTO users (username , password) VALUES ("pass3", "")

SQL=INSERT INTO users (username , password) VALUES ("pass4", "")

SQL=INSERT INTO users (username , password) VALUES ("pass5", "")

thanks for pointing the index out I changed that but thats not all. The output is still the same as previous post.  I think the problem is somewhere in these lines. I just not sure what? .....

$handle = fopen("pass.csv","r");

while(($data = fgetcsv($handle, 1000, ",")) !== FALSE)

and here is my whole csv file..

user1   pass1

user2   pass2

user3   pass3

user4   pass4

user5   pass5

oh. that never occured to me . maybe thats why my UPDATE loop didnt work when I tried to logon with the real passwords. so I need to change my datatype to match the hash functions.  I will try both my UPDATE and INSERT codes and see if I can update the table with the hashed passwords and see if I can login. thx again

that was it!! I would have never figured that out by myself. Just went over my head but was simple. I also got my UPDATE loop doing the same principle to work too. All I had to do was change my varchar to 50 which I thought it was or to whatever can handle md5 or sha1.  Another careless mistake I did.

thx

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.