MySQL table suddenly not updating anymore. [fixed]

holiks

I had a problem with a simple mysql/php web application. Basically I had a working member profile system (the profile editing/updating part of it worked fine). As I worked through night after night on the rest of the site, I happened to try updating a profile  (using a member account and using Opera browser). To my surprise all of a sudden the profile wasn't being updated...and to top it off, all the rest of that member's data in the same record row (age,location,likes,dislikes,etc.) had been emptied. I was baffled even more when I tried using IE browser and saw that it worked!! Well I poured through pages and pages of the www and found similiar problems but none with my exact prob. Now I made sure my mysql query was properly formed. I even copied the query (a simple UPDATE) from the script's output and pasted into another mysql admin tool 'phpmyadmin' and it worked. Somehow the database/memberprofile just wasn't being updated through MY php script. I knew it because the same exact query worked through phpmyadmin. (all php code and mysql queries were verified and valid).

I did some more troubleshooting and will not neglect to mention the fact that I did eventually fix the problem!! and the database (member profile) is now updated whether using IE,firefox,Kmeleon or Opera.

What did I do? Put the css in its own file and linked it to the page. yep ...tested 3 times and that was the prob for WHATEVER reason!! :) :)

Now my question (which i'm not sure is about mysql/php/apache (thinking not mysql)) is,

why did I have to put the CSS in it's own file to make the DATABASE update work in Internet Explorer AND Firefox/Opera/Kmeleon? Is it to do with the headers sent by IE as opposed to FF/Opera/Kmeleon?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.