php/mysql help ?

jd2007

let's say a table named 'cars' has two columms, one is 'id', second is 'make' in mysql. i want to take all content in 'make' and store in a numerical array called 'mycars'. the content of 'make' is ferrari, aston martin, buick and jaguar. if i echo mycars[0], it will display ferrari...how do i do that ?

I have a stupid question for you. Are you familiar with running queries and retrieving data from a DB?

This is a pretty simple task

<?php

$query="SELECT * FROM cars";
$result=mysql_query($query);

while($row=mysql_fetch_object($result))
{
   $mycars[]=$row->make;
}

echo $mycars[0];

?>

So long as Ferrari is the first item pulled from the database, this code will do exactly that. You could use a while loop to display the results, or a for loop or a foreach loop. I suggest you get pretty familiar with using loops and getting data in and out of an array.

Hope this helps.

Yes MySQL pulls data out of the data in order they are stored in the table, eg if ferrari was entered first and jaguar was entered second the mysql will pull Ferrari first followed by jaguar. You can change the order by using the ORDER BY clause within the query if you wish.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.