question about session_start function

saeed_violinist

Hi,

I designed my site in a way that the template is loaded from a php file that included in every page of my site. Now I want to know if I put SESSION_START() function in this template file so I can access the session variables in every page, when every page is accessed from theme.php a new sesion_start will be generated.

So, this session starts in every page , will this cause session variables in last page to be deleted? and If your answer is YES, what you suggest instead of putting session start in main template code.

session_start always checks whether there was a valid session id used previously. The session id is normally stored in a cookie. This id is relates to a session file stored on the server. PHP then compares those two to see if the session is still valid, eg the session has not timed out or whether the session file exists.

You can call session_start as many times as you like, eg:

<?php
session_start();

$_SESSION['blah'] = 'hello';

session_start();

The second call to start the session will just get ignored. PHP will not reset any of the session variables unless you have told it to kill the session using either session_destroy or unset. Or whether the session has been timed out or when you delete your cookies on your computer/browser.

I know what you mean. A code snippet I have always used to not worry about sessions this way is to do this:

if(session_id() == "")

{

session_start();

}

before the start of any page where there is a need for session info. That way I knda have both ends of the bargain neatly covered.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.