server=localhost
user=
pass=
name=

[website]
title=
description="a long description"
keywords="a, long, description, in, short"

i load this file throught file() which gives me an array where every key is a line from the file. Now, what i want to do through regular expressions is finding the lines which contain a word between the [ and ], so as the backslash is the escape character i tried the following:

^(\[[a-z]\])$

but nothing turns up, probably you guys know why, but i don't, so pls fill me in, i already read a book about regular expressions without any success i also have a cheat sheet doesn't work for me neither :D

thanks in advance,

Ignace

/^(\[[a-z]\])$/

The above regular expression will match "[g]" but not "[global]" because there is no quantifier after the character class ("[a-z]").  You probably want to use the "+" quantifier: one or more characters.

To match all bracketed content quickly, you can read the file into a string and match them all at once:

<?php

$contents = file_get_contents("file.ini");
preg_match_all('/^\[(.*)\]$/', $contents, $matches);

print_r($matches[1]);

?>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.