[SOLVED] Newbie question about XML and PHP 4 (and where's Newbie Help?)

Phasma Felis

Okay, I've done a bit of PHP work before, but I'm still pretty much a newbie to this language. I'm working on a project for a client, and want to use XML to store data (mainly medical forms, blank and filled). Everything I've seen says that XML is much, much easier to handle with PHP 5 and SimpleXML. Unfortunately, the client's box is still running PHP 4.4.0-4, and they don't want to upgrade for fear of breaking the several dozen other sites running on that server.

So I have two questions. First, what's the best way to handle XML parsing in PHP 4? Second, are they right to worry that upgrading will break their other sites, or should I try to talk them into it? Is it possible to use both on the same webserver?

(Also, where the heck is the Newbie Help forum mentioned in the posting guidelines? I even tried a Google sitesearch, and found lots of people asking where it was, but no answers.)

Thanks for your help!

This is newbie help :)

Yes they are right to worry that the upgrade may break something.  Even though the language changed very little, it's likely that a changed setting in php.ini will cause random scripts to start dying (or worse, fail but not give any indication they are failing).

It's possible to use both on the same webserver, but not recommended.

As for parsing XML in v4, I can't give much advice about that. You can try the packages at http://pear.php.net if you're not satisfied with the parser provided in PHP.

This is newbie help :)

Heh, OK. :) One of the posting guidelines confused me: "3. Pick the right forum for your question.  If you are very new to PHP or programming in general, then post to Newbie Help.  People are more likely to be patient with you there.  If you post to PHP Help, the assumption is that you have gained a level of competence with PHP..."

Anyway, thanks for your help. Sounds like it's pretty much as I expected...sigh. I'll talk to the client tomorrow and figure out the best way to proceed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.