[SOLVED] I don't understand how to alter a MySQL column with php

bubblybabs

I have a table named sentcards with a field called cardid with a current type int...

I wish to change the type int to bigint(30) with an attribute that is unassisgned and a default of 0...

This is my code:

"ALTER TABLE ".$tablePrefix."sentcards MODIFY cardid cardid BIGINT(30) UNASSIGNED NOT NULL";

:

but it doesn't work which makes me think I have something incorrect in my command...  Could you point me in the right direction?

Babs

Since this was asking for coding in php I figured this was the place to go...

I changed the coding to this:

"ALTER TABLE databasename gc_sentcards CHANGE cardid cardid BIGINT(30) UNASSIGNED NOT NULL default '0'";

but it still does not work...  (databasename is changed from its correct info)

That webpage states I don't need to use the word column but I tried it anyway:

"ALTER TABLE databasename gc_sentcards CHANGE COLUMN cardid cardid BIGINT(30) UNASSIGNED NOT NULL default '0'";

Still not working...  Should I go to this other forum to ask for assistance or stay here?

Babs

i did this:

<?php
$db = mysql_connect("localhost", "root");
      $connection=mysql_select_db("Help", $db);
     $query = "ALTER TABLE sentcards
MODIFY cardid bigint(30) not null";
      $result=mysql_query($query);

if ($result) {
echo "Success !";
}
else if (!$result) {
echo "Failed !";
}
else {}
?>

notice that i removed unassigned and it showed 'success !' means it worked !, just replace the query in your script with this :

$query = "ALTER TABLE sentcards
MODIFY cardid bigint(30) not null";

tell me wheter it works or not....

if sql confuses u , go here http://www.techonthenet.com/sql/index.php...

check this site too...www.w3schools.com

OK, removing unassigned allows this to work (as well as removing the extra cardid - I was following the instructions but mixed up what they meant)...  But this must be unsigned or the mod I'm working on won't work...

This worked for me thus far:

"ALTER TABLE ".$tablePrefix."sentcards MODIFY cardid BIGINT(30) NOT NULL default '0'";

I'll look at the link you gave me, maybe it'll be clearer...  I have to have it unsigned...

And, looking at what I originally post I see I had a spelling error!  It's unsigned not unassigned!  Duh... Once I changed it to this it works:

"ALTER TABLE ".$tablePrefix."sentcards MODIFY cardid BIGINT(30) UNSIGNED NOT NULL default '0'";

Thanks, I appreciate all of you helping me get this figured out...

Babs

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.