[SOLVED] MYSQL DB Size Limitation?

dlebowski

Does anyone know if there are DB size limitations within MYSQL?  I have gotten conflicting reports everywhere I have looked on the internet.  Can someone let me know if/what the limitations of MYSQL are in regards to size?  I have a database that is already getting very large after three months and I am concerned that maybe I should look into a different DB alternative.  Let me know if anyone can help me out.  Thanks in advance.

So there really isn't a limit then?  I have an application that will have 1000 entries in the database per week.  No attachments.  Just entries consisting of about 10 columns or so worth of data.  I keep seeing this "4 GB limit" everywhere on the net.  Apparently that is no longer the case. 

My next question is in regards to simultaneous queries.  I currently utilize a hosted solution for my application and understand that I will not be able to have 200 people all submitting queries at the same time without creating cpu utilization problems.  That being said, have you ran into problems with too many people hitting a database simultaneously while using MYSQL?

I'd like to see where you've seen mysql supporting only 4gb.

If that were the case, there'd be no way they could successfully sell it on an enterprise level offering support, fyi.

200 concurrent connections is a stretch for a lot of database servers. I seriously doubt you'll need that many.

A bit more insight on what my MySQL database has handled...

I have an app which has a 64 thread Thread Pool. Each successful transaction in my application has 7 writes and 4 reads.

The MySQL database I have installed can process 46 of these transactions / second (according to my latest performance numbers)

Anyway, to get to the point, I don't think you'll be having issues using MySQL.

Right.

MyISAM is smaller in size, but great for searching (selecting). Please note MyISAM does table level locking, as apposed to InnoDB which supports a larger size and offers row level locking.

If you have a database that will be doing alot of updating / inserting, I would highly recommend you switch the engine to InnoDB

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.