[SOLVED] Load the HTML output of a file into a variable?

AbydosGater

Hi, Simple question. But i cant figure it out.. How can i load the html output of a file into a variable.. Kind of like include()ing or require()ing a file.. but not echoing the content.. but saving it to a variable..

Can it be done? I dont want to use fgets because they are PHP files.. and i want to get the HTML as if a user opened with a browser..

Andy

Just a thought.  You may want to try php's strip_tags function.  You could assign the whole document as a variable then strip the html in another variable and then use str_replace to delete the strip_tags variable (which is all content other than html) out of the original variable leaving html left.  

Barrand: Ahh, Thats more understandable then what i have seen before.

Will get right on it.

Thank You

DanFavourite: I dont need to strip the html.. Its for my template class i need to keep the HTML.

Ill try using OB.. That or Eval.

Try this:

<pre><?php

$page = html_entity_decode(strip_tags(file_get_contents("http://yoururl/file")));

echo $page
?></pre>

I'm not sure which is more appropriate, html_entity_decode() or htmlspecialchars_decode().  I think html_entity_decode() is more thorough.

Im Not Trying to take out the HTML! I need the html and want the html. Its the PHP i dont want..

When you include a file into your application.. It runs it first, as if you opened said file in your browser.. and it returns the HTML for the browser to display..

I want to do this! But not display the code for the page.. But save it to a variable.

Unfortunately all methods i have tried..fgets().. file() and get_file_contents() have all returned the actuall PHP code for the page... before its been processed..

I need it after its been processed.. with all html tags..

But i cant find a way to do it

EDIT: Does eval(); echo or output the result after it has been called.. or can the result be saved to a variable to be outputted later?

To answer my last question.. I tried

<?php
$str = 'if (1 == 1) {echo "true";};';
$var = eval($str);
echo $var;
?>

And no it cant save the returned result to a variable it just outputs the result on being eval'd.

Does anyone know how i could get around this problem?

Please

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.