Regex email to active link

tomerg3

I am using this code to convert a email@email.com to < a href="mailto: ..">

I want to modify it so if there's also an active link < a href="mailto:...> in the text, it will not be changed

My current code is:

$text = eregi_replace("([_\.0-9a-z-]+@([0-9a-z][0-9a-z-]+\.)+[a-z]{2,3})","><a  href=\"mailto:\\1\">\\1</a>", $text);

Help please.

One solution is to remove the already-linked e-mail addresses, then replace what's left.  I do this by replacing them with a special piece of bookmark code containing the index of the array where I've saved them, replace the remaining e-mails, and then return the "stored" strings to their places.

<?php

function _pcre_emails ($txt,&$array_ref,&$counter_ref) { $array_ref[$counter_ref] = str_replace('\"','"',$txt); return '<?php' . $counter_ref++ . '?' . '>'; }
// (Separated ? and > above so PHP highlighting would work, but not necessary in code)
$emails = array();
$email_counter = 0;

$text = 'I am using this code to convert a email@email.com to <a href="mailto:user@example.com">user@example.com</a>';
echo "\n",htmlentities($text),"\n";
echo htmlentities(preg_replace(
array(
	'/(<a href="mailto:.*?">.*?<\/a>)/ie',
	'/([\w.-]+@(?:[\w-]+\.){1,3}\w{2,4})/i',
	'/<\?php(\d+)\?\>/e'),  // Escaped the \>, but not necessary, same reason
array(
	'_pcre_emails(\'$1\',$emails,$email_counter)',
	'<a href="mailto:$1">$1</a>',
	'$emails[$1]'),
$text)),"\n";
?>

OUTPUT:
I am using this code to convert a email@email.com to <a href="mailto:user@example.com">user@example.com</a>
I am using this code to convert a <a href="mailto:email@email.com">email@email.com</a> to <a href="mailto:user@example.com">user@example.com</a>

One solution is to remove the already-linked e-mail addresses, then replace what's left.  I do this by replacing them with a special piece of bookmark code containing the index of the array where I've saved them, replace the remaining e-mails, and then return the "stored" strings to their places.

<?php

function _pcre_emails ($txt,&$array_ref,&$counter_ref) { $array_ref[$counter_ref] = str_replace('\"','"',$txt); return '<?php' . $counter_ref++ . '?' . '>'; }
// (Separated ? and > above so PHP highlighting would work, but not necessary in code)
$emails = array();
$email_counter = 0;

$text = 'I am using this code to convert a email@email.com to <a href="mailto:user@example.com">user@example.com</a>';
echo "\n",htmlentities($text),"\n";
echo htmlentities(preg_replace(
array(
	'/(<a href="mailto:.*?">.*?<\/a>)/ie',
	'/([\w.-]+@(?:[\w-]+\.){1,3}\w{2,4})/i',
	'/<\?php(\d+)\?\>/e'),  // Escaped the \>, but not necessary, same reason
array(
	'_pcre_emails(\'$1\',$emails,$email_counter)',
	'<a href="mailto:$1">$1</a>',
	'$emails[$1]'),
$text)),"\n";
?>

OUTPUT:
I am using this code to convert a email@email.com to <a href="mailto:user@example.com">user@example.com</a>
I am using this code to convert a <a href="mailto:email@email.com">email@email.com</a> to <a href="mailto:user@example.com">user@example.com</a>

That's way way too long, I figured it out with some help on another forum, try this, it's much cleaner....

$text = preg_replace("~(?>[\w.-]+@[\w.-]+)(?!</a>)(?!\">)~","<a href=\"mailto:\\0\">\\0</a>", $text);

Thanks anyway.

Ah, the once-only subpattern operator... that's what I needed.  I started replying with a simple lookbehind regex, but while it would ignore user@example.com it would then find ser@example.com since "s" wasn't preceeded by the "mailto:" bit.

So, thanks, I learned about the once-only operator.

Also,

$text = preg_replace('~(?<!href="mailto:|>)(?>[\w.-]+@(?:[\w-]+\.){1,3}[a-z]{2,6})(?!">|</a>)~i','<a href="mailto:$0">$0</a>', $text);

($0 preferred to \\0; neg. lookaheads can be collapsed; double to single quotes)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.