Image Upload

coolphpdude

Hi people,

Im new to PHP and new on here so hope you's can bare with me. Im doing a uni project where i have users register an account. Upon registration they can upload pictures and assignments (word files). The way i was thinking about doing it was uploading the pic and storing the URL within a relevant field in a database that corresponds to that user thus creating a link to the picture but meaning i can display the picture online from that URL. The problem i have is if 2 different users upload 2 different pictures but both pictures have the same filename. How do I make it so that there is no clash or that 1 pic doesnt get overwritten???

Very stuck and confused so any help will be appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah i considered that. Well not so much the function (i know very little about functions within PHP to be honest), i considered writing an IF statement to do it for me but thats not what i need.

Because i cud have 1000 users all trying to upload 1 picture (just for example everybody's pic was titled pic1.jpg) i need to make it as automated as possible for the user. i dont want the user to have to rename his/her file (simply for the fact that a user might sit there for 10hours trying different names for their file before they find 1 that isnt already in use... if that makes sense).

for that you can probably try looping the file_exists, so that when you finally get a unique random filename, you exit the loop and save the file

something like

while (file_exists($filename)) {
  //$filename = generate random file name....
}
//save the file now, since there is not duplicate filename anymore

table : data

Id            TEXT          IMAGE

1            t1              img_1.jpg

2            t2              img_2.gif 

3            t3              img_3.jpg

4            t4              img_4.bmp

For record 1 you may keep image name like this image_1.jpg

where 1 is id for table which is unique for each records so no need to check file_exist.

In this case if two diff users have uploaded same files then nothing worried abt because they will save as diff names in source and DB.

The majority rules on that then!! so uploading to a DB is a bad idea due to space. is there anyway that once a user registers with my site then a folder can be automatically created on my web space (so if joe blogs registered a folder would be created called /pictures/joeblogs/ and when they upload a pic it goes straight into their folder. That way if their pic is uploaded to their dedicated folder it should be the only pic in there with that name? just an idea...

The while loop with the random rename is looking the best option.

you can use mkdir()

try something like

if the users registration is sucessful,

make a directory called 'username'

unpload the picture to that directory

but it would be much easier to make it have a ranodom name

then your DB would have something along the lines of:

file_id|file_title|file_name    |file_user

1      |title    | 25478h.doc  | username

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.