It's late and I don't know what the hell is wrong with the quotes in this....

weemikey

Hi all. I don't think I will ever understand where the single vs. double quotes should go. I have this query that is giving me a sql syntax error at the "theme_id"

$sql = "UPDATE	theme
  SET	    theme.img_file = '".$newname."'
  WHERE	   theme.id = '".$theme_id."'";

I've tried every permutation and combination I could think of. I still get the error. It's THREE lines of freakin' code? Is it obvious to anyone else what I'm missing? Is there a reference somewhere that explains where the quotes go and why?

Make your life a lot simpler:

$sql = "UPDATE	theme
  SET	    theme.img_file = '$newname'
  WHERE	   theme.id = '$theme_id'";

Its so early for me to come up with a coherent explanation of the quotes though. Im sure i would just confuse the issue.

You are an officer and a gentleman. However this is what I get when I run that code:

check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '6'.jpg' WHERE theme.id = ''6'''

So, is my $theme_id coming IN with quotes on it? Is that the problem?

Right above this sql I name a file (we're uploading avatars here).

// name the file with img + the member_id + the extension (.jpg etc)

$newname = "img/th_".$theme_id.$ext;

So, if the filename in the error is '6'.jpg, how do I stop the theme_id from having single quotes on it? So confusing!

I really cant think why you would get a quote there - it should be an integer variable. Can you show how/where youdefine $theme_id?

Also, just to make 100% certain this is the problem, try modifying your or die statement(which, presumably you already have hence the above error)

$sql = "UPDATE	theme
  SET	    theme.img_file = '".$newname."'
  WHERE	   theme.id = '".$theme_id."'";
mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error().'<br />Query: '.$sql);

In your SQL syntax, try naming the field/column names. That's probably throwing your error. Like this:

$sql = "UPDATE theme (col1, col2) SET theme.img_file = '$newname' WHERE theme.id='$theme_id'";

Replace col1, col2 with the actual column names. Let me know what happens.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.