Sending an email to vtext.com with mail(), 550 refused

Bahro

I am attempting to send an email to [mobile number]@vtext.com to send an SMS. Here is the code that I am using:

$headers = 'From: webmaster@notice.com' . "\n" .
	'Reply-To: noreply@notice.com' . "\n" .
	'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();

mail($email, '', $body, $headers);

However, the message does not go through, I receive a message failure notification shortly after. The failure is as this:

Return-Path: <>
X-Original-To: loganwilliams@bazooka.dreamhost.com
Delivered-To: loganwilliams@bazooka.dreamhost.com
Received: from smarty.dreamhost.com (smarty.dreamhost.com [208.113.175.8])
by bazooka.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id D48DAD4728
for <loganwilliams@bazooka.dreamhost.com>; Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by smarty.dreamhost.com (Postfix)
id C679DEE23C; Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: MAILER-DAEMON@smarty.dreamhost.com (Mail Delivery System)
Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
To: loganwilliams@bazooka.dreamhost.com
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
boundary="CDE1EEE260.1185417401/smarty.dreamhost.com"
Message-Id: <20070726023641.C679DEE23C@smarty.dreamhost.com>

This is a MIME-encapsulated message.

--CDE1EEE260.1185417401/smarty.dreamhost.com
Content-Description: Notification
Content-Type: text/plain

This is the Postfix program at host smarty.dreamhost.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<[mobile number]@vtext.com>: host smtpsp1.vtext.com[66.174.3.30] said: 550 SMTP
    connection refused (in reply to DATA command)

Content-Description: Delivery report
Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; smarty.dreamhost.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: CDE1EEE260
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; loganwilliams@bazooka.dreamhost.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:40 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [mobile number]@vtext.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host smtpsp1.vtext.com[66.174.3.30] said: 550 SMTP
    connection refused (in reply to DATA command)

Content-Description: Undelivered Message
Content-Type: message/rfc822

Received: from bazooka.dreamhost.com (apache2-ugly.bazooka.dreamhost.com [208.113.175.89])
by smarty.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id CDE1EEE260
for <[mobile number]@vtext.com>; Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:40 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by bazooka.dreamhost.com (Postfix, from userid 1048828)
id CC039D4737; Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:40 -0700 (PDT)
To: [mobile number]@vtext.com
Subject: 
Reply-To: noreply@notice.com
X-Mailer: PHP/5.2.2
Message-Id: <20070726023640.CC039D4737@bazooka.dreamhost.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 19:36:40 -0700 (PDT)

test message 5

--CDE1EEE260.1185417401/smarty.dreamhost.com--

Sending an email in my email client works fine, and the message gets through as it should. Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong, and how I can fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Logan Williams

i think you had better read their tos a bit more carefully

I click on terms and conditions at vtext.com and get this:

Messaging Terms & Conditions

Text, Picture and Video Messaging

Messaging-capable phone required. Camera phone required for Picture and Video Messaging; some older models may not support video. Instant messages are charged as text messages. If your phone is not a PDA or Smartphone, picture and video message transport will be billed as airtime per your Calling Plan. If you have a PDA or Smartphone, picture and video messaging transport will not be billed unless you (i) are in the Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area; and (ii) do not subscribe to a data plan or feature that includes 'unlimited' data usage, in which case picture and video messaging transport will be billed as data usage and deducted from your monthly data allowance, or billed at 1.5¢ per KB ($15.36 per MB), as applicable. Picture and video messages sent using Messaging Bundles, and all text messages sent (using Messaging Bundles or not), are billed per address. Messaging Bundle benefits do not apply to international messages. When roaming internationally, different charges may apply and Messaging Bundle allowances may not apply; see www.verizonwireless.com/international for more information. See http://www.vtext.com for information about TXT Alerts. We reserve the right to block unsolicited messages, but you may receive them. Messages not delivered within five (5) days from receipt on our network will be deleted. We do not guarantee that messages will be received and are not responsible for lost or misdirected messages. Text messages cannot exceed 160 characters including the sender's callback number and the destination number/email address. Some phone models support a higher character limit and enhanced messaging features, which the message recipient may not be able to view if their service provider or phone does not support them. Picture and Video Messaging is subject to the Use Agreement posted at www.vzwpix.com. Canceling a picture or video message after pressing SEND may result in messages sent with only partial content. You can control receipt of picture and video messages using your phone's "prompt mode" feature.

Premium Text Messaging Programs.

These programs are sponsored by third parties and identified by unique five- or six-digit numbers ("short codes"). Programs and opt-in requirements vary. Standard messaging charges apply to all messages sent and received via short codes. Some programs also charge additional premium fees, the amount and billing frequency of which will be disclosed at time of opt-in and billed on your Verizon Wireless bill. To opt in, send a text message to the applicable short code and follow any instructions. To opt out at any time, send the words CANCEL, END, QUIT, STOP or UNSUBSCRIBE to the applicable short code. To get more information, including contact details for the third party sponsor, send the word HELP to the applicable short code. Some campaigns may be subject to additional terms and conditions.

Unlimited IN Messaging Bundle. May require subscription to new Calling Plan. Cannot be combined with any other bundle that includes a text or picture/video message allowance. Applies only to text, picture and video messages sent to and received from other Verizon Wireless 10-digit phone numbers. Premium text messaging fees not included.

$5 Monthly Messaging Bundle. IN Messaging benefits do not apply and premium text messaging fees are not included.

Don't see anything there that prohibits sending an email to send a text message using a program.

Yes, there is an actual number there, I have just removed it for that quote.

Thanks,

Logan

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.