[SOLVED] Finding offsets of dynamic content

FrostiE

Hey,

One of the things I'm trying to get working at the moment is dynamic thumbnailing. Basically the user has the choice for a auto thumbnail (crop to 1:1 proportion ratio, and resize) or a manual thumbnail.

http://ewanfrost.com/modman/thumbnail.php -> (haven't tried IE compatibility yet, since its just a tech test)

ajax.jpg

Ok, so I'm trying to test it in some kinda gallery environment (picture above). By click on the image, if makes a absolute positioned DIV appear, and loads dynamic content (the larger image and scroller) using Prototype's AJAX.Updater function. The problem is, if I try and find the the left position of the image offsetLeft, it returns 0. I assume this is because its 0 px away from the side of the div.

Does anyone know how I could insert it into the DOM where it is considered part of the document and the calculations will involve the whole document, if not, any suggestions and ideas would be great.

Thanks!

function findPos(obj) {
    var curleft = curtop = 0;
    if (obj.offsetParent) {
        curleft = obj.offsetLeft
         curtop = obj.offsetTop
        while (obj = obj.offsetParent) {
            curleft += obj.offsetLeft
            curtop += obj.offsetTop
        }
    }
    return [curleft,curtop];
}

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/findpos.html

--works great, I use it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.