[SOLVED] syntax question

182x

Hey guys,

I have an int field in a database and for teh purposes of this case the insert statement doesn't insert anything into the field using the ' ' syntax however in the mysql database this appears as 0. I was wondering can I still use the empty syntax as follows or will it not work as it is 0 does is this not classed as empty? Thanks.

if (empty($row['intTest'])){

$sns= "empty";
 }

you could enable a NULL value for the field, and insert NULL rather than an empty string.  this entails a delicate balance of quotes vs. non-quotes, because the NULL value must be inserted into the database without single quotes in order to be properly recognized as a NULL value:

INSERT INTO stuff (one, two, integer) VALUES ('first', 'second', NULL)

Thanks but does that mean the above example would work? I was also wondering is it normal for an integer to be set to zero when in the sql statement the insert for that integer is left blank like using single quotes ' ' ?

the database will insert the default value for that column when fed an empty string like that.  for columns designated NOT NULL, this will mean a 0 for most numeric fields, or an actual empty string ('') for text or varchar field types.

the above example won't work, because "empty" is just a string.  since it's an incorrect type, it will either spring an error (type mismatch) or disregard the value you gave it and insert the default.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.