save image button

geordie_b

Hi

I have a image gallery and I would like to add a button next to each image to let the user save the image to their computer rather than prompting them to right click. Has anyone got some code which would do this? I have been googling but cant seem to find the right search phrase.

thanks

I'd say use a header to force a download. I'm not sure how your gallery is set up. I'm working on my my self. I would make a new file named download.php and stick the code below in it. Of course you'd have to modify it to fit your needs. Then if some one wants to download the image, they click the link and the download.php file "GET" the image name and forces a download.

<?php

$ImageName = stripslashes($_GET['img']); // I'd actually pull this from my database
$ImageLoc = "./gallery/images/$ImageName"; // This too

header("Cache-Control: public, must-revalidate");
header("Content-Type: application/octet-stream");
header("Content-Length: " . filesize($ImageLog) );
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=" .$ImageName);
header("Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary\n");

$fp = fopen($ImageLoc, 'rb');
$buffer = fread($fp, filesize($ImageLoc));
fclose ($fp);

print $buffer;

?>

I do something similar to this with other file types but I don't think I've tried it with images....possibly something like...

<?php

fopen('temp/'.$filename,"w");

fclose($filehandle);

header("Content-type: force-download");
  header("Content-type: jpeg");
  header("Content-transfer-encoding: binary\n");
  header("Content-disposition: attachment; filename=\"$filename\"");

unlink('temp/'.$filename);

?>

You'll have to fill in the blanks and edit it....but maybe something like that can be done using images as well. I don't see why not. (Note: Again, have only tried this with documents and other file types)

I'd say use a header to force a download. I'm not sure how your gallery is set up. I'm working on my my self. I would make a new file named download.php and stick the code below in it. Of course you'd have to modify it to fit your needs. Then if some one wants to download the image, they click the link and the download.php file "GET" the image name and forces a download.

<?php

$ImageName = stripslashes($_GET['img']); // I'd actually pull this from my database
$ImageLoc = "./gallery/images/$ImageName"; // This too

header("Cache-Control: public, must-revalidate");
header("Content-Type: application/octet-stream");
header("Content-Length: " . filesize($ImageLog) );
header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=" .$ImageName);
header("Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary\n");

$fp = fopen($ImageLoc, 'rb');
$buffer = fread($fp, filesize($ImageLoc));
fclose ($fp);

print $buffer;

?>

hi thanks for the code, what is the variable $Imagelog?

Ah Salis beat me to it. But yeah...using headers. Though if Salis has done this...I would try his example. :-)

You can give it a shot. I haven't tested this script yet. But the nice thing is this should work for ANY file you want to force download ;)

try this:

$ImageName = "myfile.jpg";

$ImageLoc = " ./$ImageName";

When we open a file to read the data, we need to know how much to read so we use filesize(). filesize need to know where the file is. Since it's in the same directory I've add the ./$ImageName to say "look in this folder for $ImageName"

I hope this helps. If no could you post you full download code, including modifications?

I got it working by doing this

$ImageName = 'jen.jpg';

$ImageLoc = 'images/'.$ImageName;

it didnt like these lines when i tried to use them

$ImageLoc = ''.$ImageName;

$ImageLoc = '/'.$ImageName;

im not actually going to have the image in the same directory but its weird that it wont work if it is.

I got it working by doing this

$ImageName = 'jen.jpg';

$ImageLoc = 'images/'.$ImageName;

it didnt like these lines when i tried to use them

$ImageLoc = ''.$ImageName;

$ImageLoc = '/'.$ImageName;

im not actually going to have the image in the same directory but its weird that it wont work if it is.

You have to remember there is a difference between a quote " and a tick '

Also if you use a single / you're actually saying "look in my main home directory". In other words if you have /jen.jpg the script will look for the file in www.example.com/jen.jpg when you may be trying to look in www.example.com/gallery/images/jen.jpg

But I'm glad to hear you got it to work. Happy to help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.