Try this .htaccess file

Options +FollowSymLinks

<IfModule mod_php4.c>
  php_value session.use_trans_sid 0
  php_value register_globals 1
  php_value display_errors 1
</IfModule>

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /httpdocs/                  // here given your uri path after given remove this comment from htaccess file
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^/(.*)/$ www.domain.com/dir/page.php?ec==$1

Shen, if I remove those lines, I get a page does not exist error.

DeadEvil, neither worked.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^(.*)  /home/eventron/public_html/events/index.php?ec=$1

The above brings up the index.php, but the files that are included in index.php aren't displaying properly probably because of directories and such.  Is there a way to forward to that address above rather than just displaying it through www.eventron.com/$1 ?

And, this made things a bit better:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule [.*]eventron.com/(.*)^[.html|.php|.inc.php]  /home/eventron/public_html/events/index.php?ec=$1

which doesn't mess up other files, but it still gives me a page does not exist at www.eventron.com/abc123

Sorry DeadEvil, but stick with me for just a second:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]{6})  /home/eventron/public_html/events/index.php?ec=$1

That sets $ec = events....any clue why?  I want to check for a six character string that's not a file at www.eventron.com/STRING and then set that string to $ec in /events/index.php.  It can use redirect or whatever it needs to...

GOT IT (actually)

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^([A-Za-z0-9]{6})$  /home/eventron/public_html/events/index.php?ec=$1

Not sure why...wanna take a stab at explaining?  I understand Reg Ex, but I'm not sure why that worked here!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.