Apache 1 or Apache 2

bigb89

Sorry if this question has already been posted, but I searched this forum I didn't find one like it, so here it is:

I've always used Apache 2 but I'm seeing that many webservers are using Apache 1 instead of 2, so for php pages which is more stable, Apache 1 or Apache 1?

Overall which of them is more stable, Apache 1 or Apache 2?

IMO, it makes no real difference, until you get to Apache 2.2 which doesn't seem to work.

I use 2.0 for local development. I'm not even sure what my server runs, thats how little it seems to matter :)

Apache 2.2 works no problem with PHP. When you use Apache2.2 with PHP you'll want to use php5apache2_2.dll for configuring PHP with Apache.

Apache2.2's module handling has changed, Apache 2.0.x modules are not compatible with Apache2.2.x modules. PHP comes with all module files for which ever version of Apache you're using:

php5apache.dll    - for Apache1.x

php5apache2.dll    - for Apache2.0.x

php5apache2_2.dll - for Apache2.2.x

Note change php5 to php4 if you're using php4.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.