not sure what to do..

RedMaster

Hi phpFreaks!

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any ideas of how to accomplish the following starting from a php application which is already freely avalible:

- Allow people to register/create a profile

- Allow those registered people to sign up for time slots to volunteer

- Send those people reminder emails 1 day before they are to volunteer

.. I think those are the most major features I can think of this right now. I am already trying to construct my own but knowing how much security I'll need to write into the application to keep the script kiddies at bay I'm not confident I want to partake in all of that just yet, i think there may be a way I can do this w/o having to write so much but I dunno how yet so I've come to ask here.

Thank you for your time!!

well, a time slot would be denoted by an integer field representing the start time of the volunteer job, and another field representing the duration.  That job would have an ID and a maximum participants field as well.

User login/registration is a fairly simple topic; i am sure phpclasses.org has ample amounts of user classes.  The user would also have a jobs id field, which would be a comma-separated-value list of job ID's. 

When a user clicks and confirms a task, their jobsID field gets appended with that task.

the next part would be a cron job that runs hourly, maybe daily, that will email the user if a query returns true that they have a job within the next 25 hours. 

as for code... thats a lot of code to provide on a forum post, so i am afraid you will have to figure that one out.  the way i outlined it would be the way to do it, though.

The user would also have a jobs id field, which would be a comma-separated-value list of job ID's.

That will certainly put a block on any queries that need to join user and job tables.

Create a separate user_job table containing the userID and jobID.

not really...  i am able to do this sort of thing all the time with a CSV field... mainly because mysql is able to parse it and turn it into an array that i am able to use as a comparison between the tables.  either way though, i think your method is better.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.