can host more than one website in www root folder?

cluce

I am currently using WAMP as my web server and it only allows me to host one website at a time is this right??    I have it installed on my C: drive under wamp/www.            It seems it wont allow me to add multiple root folders under the www folder which is currently my only root folder that works. Can someone give me some direction on how to set multiple web hosts.

I would think all I do is set designated folders in the www folder but that is not working.

I have not read that but I figured it was something else I need to configure.  I do have my second website working but not like it should.  All I have to do is type the location of the website in the address bar for it to run which will work for now.

But I will need to learn this because I am about to set up a stand alone testing web server and I will have 4 websites I will need to host on there for testing. 

well the way it is setup is through WAMP. I did this awhile back.  It did all of that automatically. But I understand I need to set up the virtual hosts and I will read what you gave me. 

Things are changing now , I am about to get a Dell machine and I will need to set up everything from scratch again. This will be a stand alone PC just for web hosting and nothing else.  I  will have to set up a web server that I can host 4 web sites for my co-workers to view on their machine on their network(internally behind a firewall) before I put it in production (externally).

Do you recommend I use WAMP again to host my website or install the components individually?

Also, do you recommend XP or Server 2003?

Also, shall I use Apache or IIS to host these web sites with Windows, of course?

Yes, I want to use a Windows platform because everything we use over here is on Windows and I am not that familar with Linux.

thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.